In the middle 1980s, a number of promising new fantasy writers appeared on the scene. For range of style and subject matter, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is certainly among the most notable. In this stand-alone fantasy, a young woman seeking adventure in the wild west turns out to be the best and perhaps only hope Texas has to be rescued from a very large, very hungry, fire-breathing dragon.
Cindy Ellis knows about fairy godmothers. Her almost-stepdaughter is studying to be one and she is a close personal friend of Felicity Fortune, an Irish godmother. But she didn't suspect when she picks up Grandma Webster that the elderly, seemingly lost American Indian woman in traditional dress was a magical godmother too. When a self-serving skinwalker/witch inflames tensions between neighbors and pits sisters against each other in the best fairy tale fashion, Grandma enlists Cindy's help, along with that of a Navajo doctor, a Hopi rancher, and an unlikely champion, a dude who is related to coyotes and dreams of a home shopping network empire. Together they must defeat the evil that is threatening to destroy their world forever.
No one could have told Lieutenant Kitty McCulley that this was what it meant to be a war nurse. No one could have told her that she was going to Vietnam, not to heal, but to ready her patients for the real pain. Not to alleviate suffering, but to become an object of contempt and misdirected lust. Not to try to save all victims, but to choose sides against people she thought she was there to help. No one could have told her. And it wouldn't have made any difference anyway.<P><P> When one of her patients, a revered holy man to the Vietnamese, gives Kitty an amulet with seemingly inexplicable powers, her world is changed forever. For the amulet gives her the power to see the auras that emanate from those around her; and the auras allow her to separate the brave from the cowardly, the compassionate from the heartless, and the truly dangerous from the frightened and confused. It is a power she will need to save not only her sanity, but her life. Going against orders, Kitty convinces a helicopter pilot to help her take one of her orphan patients to safety; but when the chopper is shot down, Kitty is left in the enemy-held jungle to survive by her wits... and the power of the amulet.<P> With the child and a lone American soldier whose aura suggests almost total fear and potential danger, Kitty becomes witness to war at its most horrid.., and its most human. Here in the jungle, war and its participants are laid bare and the most basic of truths are revealed to those with the power to see them.<P> A multifaceted, riveting reading experience, The Healer's War is one of the first novels to explore the life of a military nurse in Vietnam. It is a powerful, evocative, and touching story that extends beyond the bounds of fantastic fiction to offer a richly satisfying novel of the human heart.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.