- Table View
- List View
In the middle 1980s, a number of promising new fantasy writers appeared on the scene. For range of style and subject matter, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is certainly among the most notable. In this stand-alone fantasy, a young woman seeking adventure in the wild west turns out to be the best and perhaps only hope Texas has to be rescued from a very large, very hungry, fire-breathing dragon.
Cindy Ellis knows about fairy godmothers. Her almost-stepdaughter is studying to be one and she is a close personal friend of Felicity Fortune, an Irish godmother. But she didn't suspect when she picks up Grandma Webster that the elderly, seemingly lost American Indian woman in traditional dress was a magical godmother too. When a self-serving skinwalker/witch inflames tensions between neighbors and pits sisters against each other in the best fairy tale fashion, Grandma enlists Cindy's help, along with that of a Navajo doctor, a Hopi rancher, and an unlikely champion, a dude who is related to coyotes and dreams of a home shopping network empire. Together they must defeat the evil that is threatening to destroy their world forever.
From the Book Jacket: No one could have told Lieutenant Kitty McCulley that this was what it meant to be a war nurse. No one could have told her that she was going to Vietnam, not to heal, but to ready her patients for the real pain. Not to alleviate suffering, but to become an object of contempt and misdirected lust. Not to try to save all victims, but to choose sides against people she thought she was there to help. No one could have told her. And it wouldn't have made any difference anyway. When one of her patients, a revered holy man to the Vietnamese, gives Kitty an amulet with seemingly inexplicable powers, her world is changed forever. For the amulet gives her the power to see the auras that emanate from those around her; and the auras allow her to separate the brave from the cowardly, the compassionate from the heartless, and the truly dangerous from the frightened and confused. It is a power she will need to save not only her sanity, but her life. Going against orders, Kitty convinces a helicopter pilot to help her take one of her orphan patients to safety; but when the chopper is shot down, Kitty is left in the enemy-held jungle to survive by her wits... and the power of the amulet. With the child and a lone American soldier whose aura suggests almost total fear and potential danger, Kitty becomes witness to war at its most horrid.., and its most human. Here in the jungle, war and its participants are laid bare and the most basic of truths are revealed to those with the power to see them. A multifaceted, riveting reading experience, The Healer's War is one of the first novels to explore the life of a military nurse in Vietnam. It is a powerful, evocative, and touching story that extends beyond the bounds of fantastic fiction to offer a richly satisfying novel of the human heart.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.