- Table View
- List View
Treachery and deceit run rampant throughout a devastated land, spawning dark alliances in the terrible war ignited by the enmity of two families. But unbeknownst to all, there are others who truly control the beleaguered kingdom's destiny-combatants emerging from eons of restless sleep to renew the bloody terror of a battle older than time.
The battle for power between the Renne and Wills families reaches a fever point. Fleeing a forced marriage, young Elise Wills makes a desperate bargain with a river spirit to save her own life. It is left to the wanderer Alaan to find Elise.
The cataclysm began more than a century earlier, when the King of Ayr died before naming an heir to the throne, and damned his realm to chaos. The cold-blooded conspiracies of the Renne and the Wills-each family desirous of the prize of rule-would sunder the one kingdom, and spawn generations of hatred and discord.Now Toren Renne, leader of his great and troubled house, dreams of peace-a valiant desire that has spawned hostility among his kinsmen, and vicious internal plots against his life. In the opposing domain, Elise Wills's desire for freedom is to be crushed, as an unwanted marriage to an ambitious and sinister lord looms large. As always, these machinations of nobles are affecting the everyday lives of the common folk-and feeding a bonfire of animosity that has now trapped an unsuspecting young Valeman Tam and two fortune-hunting friends from the North in its high, killing flames.But the closer Toren comes to achieving his great goal of uniting two enemy houses, the more treachery flowers. Nobles and mystics alike conspire to keep the realm divided, knowing that only in times of strife can their power grow.And perhaps the source of an unending misery lies before an old king's passing, beyond the scope of history, somewhere lost in a fog of myth and magic roiling about an ancient enchanter named Wyrr-who bequeathed to his children terrible gifts that would poison their lives...and their deaths. It is a cursed past and malevolent sorcery that truly hold the land, its people, and its would-be rulers bound. And before the already savaged kingdom can become one again, all Ayr will drown in a sea of blood.
Sean Russell is one of that new breed of epic fantacists who pay as much attention to character as they do to plotting. He lives in British Columbia, Canada, and this is the first book in a new trilogy The Swans' War. A medieval society grafted onto a savage landscape where the two greatest of noble families are implacable enemies and have been since a dying king failed to name his heir over a century ago.
The secrets of the Mages had been lost with the passing of Erasmus Flattery, a man of Talent who had served the last known Mage. Can those secrets be rediscovered?
The savage war between two mighty families has ravaged the kingdom both wish to rule-spawning treachery within the ranks of the RennÉ and Wills, drawing the brave, the innocent, and the malevolent alike into the bloody conflict. But a far more terrible consequence has arisen from the carnage-for Death himself has been roused from his dread domain . . . and is preparing to walk the world again.
World Without End is a 600 page conventional fantasy novel Written by the Canadian author Sean Russell and first published in 1995. It is the first book in a series by Russell entitled Moontide and Magic Rise; Sea without a Shore (a Bookshare possession) is the second book in this series. The River into Darkness (a Bookshare possession) is a subsequent omnibus set in the same universe that contains two books, Beneath the Vaulted Hills and The Compass of the Soul. DAW Books's summary of World Without End reads as follows: LOST SECRETS OF THE MAGES The Age of the Mages is over, and all magical arts are thought to be lost to the world. There are even those who suspect that the last of the great Mages spent their final years scrupulously eradicating all traces of their craft from the pages of history- that their art will never be practiced again. It is the dawn of a new era: an age of reason, science and exploration, and Tristam Flattery, is one of its most promising young" naturalists. But when Tristam is summoned to the royal court of Farrland to try to revitalize a failing species of plant which seems to have mysterious, almost magical, medicinal properties-a plant without which, he is told, the aging king will surely die - he soon realizes that he has been drawn into the heart of a political struggle which spans generations, a conflict which threatens the very foundations of civilization. And before long, Tristam is caught in the grip of a destiny which will lead him to the ends of the known world-on a voyage of discovery that has more to do with magic than with science....
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.