- Table View
- List View
Fictionalized account of a young girl's experience on the Trail of Tears. Christian Historical Fiction.
Garvin Daniels is a sassy, bright, self-absorbed D.C. lawyer with her eyes on a partnership. There's just one problem-Meemaw, her seventy-something grandmother! Meemaw has been transformed. She's suddenly a slimmed-down, silver-haired fox with a new attitude. And all fingers are pointing at a much younger retired pro football player, GoGo Walker, who cruises into Meemaw's small rural town with a red sports car and a reputation for womanizing. Eyes are watching and gossip is flying-especially at Big Esther's Beauty Shop. When Garvin discovers her grandmother's radical emancipation-and the man who's leading the charge-she hits the road for her North Carolina home, determined to help Meemaw get it together before she goes too far...
When the discovery of a schoolmate's lynched body puts her own life in jeopardy, Alena is sent by her parents from her beloved Mississippi home. With thousands of other African-Americans, Alena begins making her way north to the Promised Land of turn-of-the-century Chicago. On the way she meets two men who will dramatically impact her life: James, a young African-American believer determined to establish a newspaper in Chicago, and Pearl, a man with questionable intentions. A stirring novel by an exciting new writer, Passing by Samaria beautifully shows readers the path to truth, purpose, reconciliation, and joy.
The characters that readers loved in Riding Through Shadows are at it again! Mother and Ma Dear, Tony Taylor, and others are back to make readers laugh and cry. Readers of this sequel will find troubling mysteries resolved: Does Sheri exist outside of Shirley Ferris' imagination? What was in Shirley's letter and who was it from? This story, told through the life of a grieving single parent, shows how we can recover from past failures and find our way to sustained love and joy.
The sequel to The Resurrection of Nat Turner, Part I: The Witnesses shows the story of Nat Turner through his own eyes, from growing up a slave through his violent uprising and death. In the predawn hours of August 22, 1831, slave Nat Turner stormed into history with a Bible in one hand and a sword in the other. Leading a small army of fellow slaves in an uprising that left more than fifty whites dead, Turner became a tragic hero and a lightning rod for abolitionists. His rebellion put Virginia in the national spotlight and tore a nation's trust. In Part I: The Witnesses, Harriet Beecher Stowe encounters a mysterious runaway slave who recounts stories of people who knew Nat Turner, both friends and enemies. In their words are the truth of the mystery and conspiracy of Turner's life, death, and confession. Part 2: The Testimony, relates the whole story--from Turner's early slave years with his Ethiopian-born mother through the uprising, his trial, and hanging--from Nat's perspective. It's a story full of greed and betrayal, faith and courage, villains and heroes.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.