- Table View
- List View
The only book that shows how the Blues Scales (Major and Minor) are used to create jazz solos. Designed to help beginners quickly learn how to create meaningful solos without having to first master all the scales and chords of a tune. Great transcriptions of solo phrases by Miles Davis, Dave Sanborn, Dizzy Gillespie, etc. showing how the Blues Scales are used. The accompanying CD has the author and his NY rhythm section demonstrating each exercise, and also great as a jazz play-along! Endorsed by Michael Brecker, Jamey Aebersold, etc.
* A complete guide to playing guitar accompaniment and chord melodies in various Brazilian styles -- Samba, Bossa Nova, Frevo, etc. * Comes with a CD of Nelson demonstrating each exercise, plus a tune in each style * Many variations of basic comping patterns written out, each with complete chord voicings. * Also includes short transcriptions of guitar parts as recorded by Toninho Horta, Joao Bosco, Joao Gilberto, etc.
The same notes can sound square or swinging, depending on how the music is phrased. This revolutionary book shows how many people misunderstand jazz phrasing and shows how to replace stiff phrasing with fluid lines that have the right jazz feeling. In this book, master pianist Hal Galper also shows how get that feeling of forward motion and also how to use melody guide tones correctly, how to line up the strong beat in a bar with the strongest chord notes, and much more!
This book is designed to teach the fundamentals of bass playing to anyone, regardless of the style of music or level of the player. For electric or acoustic bass, it shows how to practice scales, arpeggios, rhythms, ear training, bass line construction, and more in a creative way that makes learning to play music fun! Endorsed by Marc Johnson, Larry Grenadier, Bobby Vega, Steve Swallow, etc.
Have you ever wondered how guitarists like Joe Pass, Jim Hall and Wes Montgomery find such full, luscious voicings for their chord melody playing? Well, much of that sound is based on the "Drop 2" principle of chord voicings. In this book, veteran guitarist Randy Vincent explains exactly how you can get that same sound too. Endorsed by Julian Lage, John Stowell, Larry Koonse, etc.
The most highly acclaimed jazz piano method ever published! Over 300 pages with complete chapters on Intervals and triads, The major modes and II-V-I, 3-note voicings, Sus. and phrygian Chords, Adding notes to 3-note voicings, Tritone substitution, Left-hand voicings, Altering notes in left-hand Stride and Bud Powell voicings, Block chords, Comping ...and much more! Endorsed by Kenny Barron, Down Beat, Jamey Aebersold, etc.
The most comprehensive book ever written on how to create the 4-note, block-chord approach to jazz piano playing used by masters like McCoy Tyner, Bill Evans, Barry Harris, Cedar Walton, etc. In this book, world-renowned pianist and educator Mark Levine provides a step-by-step, beginning to advanced, masterclass on how to create, practice and extend this most useful appraoch to jazz chord voicings.
The most highly-acclaimed jazz theory book ever published! Over 500 pages of comprehensive, but easy to understand text covering every aspect of how jazz is constructed---chord construction, II-V-I progressions, scale theory, chord/scale relationships, the blues, reharmonization, and much more. A required text in universities world-wide, translated into five languages, endorsed by Jamey Aebersold, James Moody, Dave Liebman, etc.
The only comprehensive book ever published on how to play bass in authentic Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, Caribbean and various South American styles. Over 250 pages of exact transcriptions of every note Oscar plays on the 3 accompanying CDs. Endorsed by Down Beat magazine, Latin Beat magazine, Benny Rietveld, etc.
This practical and enlightening book gives insight into almost every aspect of jazz musicianship---scale/chord theory, composing techniques, analyzing tunes, practice strategies, etc. For any level of player, on any instrument. Endorsed by Jessica Wiliams, Jerry Bergonzi, Bill mays, etc.
All great musicians have one thing in common---to a great extent they know what the harmony of a song is as they hear it. Do you? If not, here is a practical guide to get you up to speed. Written by Berklee professor Roberta Radley, it uses contemporary music to help you see how ear training is invaluable for your own musical needs.
The only complete method book on Salsa ever published. Numerous musical examples of how different Afro-Cuban styles are created, what each instrument does, text explaining the history and structure of the music, etc. "This will be the Salsa Bible for years to come." Sonny Bravo, Tito-Puente's pianist.
Starting where he left off with his "Serious Jazz Practice Book," guitar legend Barry Finnerty has created another woodshed classic for all jazz soloists. Recording artist with Miles Davis, the Brecker Bros., etc., Barry shows how to become a better improviser by melodically mastering the individual chords used in jazz, how they connect with each other, and how they are used in various song forms. Endorsed by Joe Lovano, Hubert Laws, Mark Levine, etc.
All musicians need to thoroughly learn their scales, chords, intervals and various melodic patterns in order to become complete musicians. The question has always been how to approach this universal task. Guitar legend Barry Finnerty (Miles, The Crusaders, Brecker Bros., etc.) provides in this book a rigorous practice regime that will set you well on the road to complete mastery of whatever instrument you play. Endorsed by Randy Brecker, Mark Levine, Dave Liebman, etc.
This book gives you all the basic principles underlying solid walking bass lines. Comprehensive, easy to understand, with page after page of great transcriptions of the author's walking lines on the accompanying CD. The CD of NY professional jazz players can also be used as a swinging play-along CD. Endorsed by Eddie Gomez, Jimmy Haslip, John Goldsby, etc.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.