- Table View
- List View
A candid and provocative memoir by the Oscar-winning actress and beloved Partridge Family icon, Shirley Jones.Shirley Jones is an American film legend of the first order, having starred in Oklahoma!, Carousel, The Music Man, and her Oscar-winning role as a prostitute in Elmer Gantry long before the iconic The Partridge Family. On the show, she portrayed the epitome of American motherhood, a symbol to generations of families in the 1970s, and she remains a cult icon today. But for those who only think of Shirley as the prim and proper Marion the librarian or the chaste and demure Mrs. Partridge, a massive surprise is in store. Here, in this candid memoir, the real flesh and blood Shirley Jones is revealed at last. In this hilarious and heartwarming, shocking and intimate memoir, Shirley dishes the raw truth about her own highly charged sexuality, her two husbands--the charismatic and deeply troubled Broadway star Jack Cassidy and the wacky TV comic Marty Ingels--her legendary Hollywood co-stars, and her interactions with the cast of The Partridge Family, including her rock star stepson David Cassidy. From smuggling marijuana across the Mexican border to infidelity and her wild sexual escapades, movie and television icon Shirley Jones gives us an unparalleled look beyond the America's sweetheart exterior.
Each of us has a tribal ancestry. We carry within us an ancient identity. Most of us took the technological path from this source: logical, analytical, exclusive, specialized, centralized. A very small minority has remained on the path of their ancestors: holistic, intuitive, inclusive, diversified, and generalized. Their lives are organized along simpler lines, simpler living. While critically endangered in most parts of the world, and disappearing as larger technological cultures surround and dilute them, the last strains of their wisdom live on today. Most of us now are trying to simplify our technological lives, to bring our existence more into line with the wisdom of nature and community. Simply Living gathers wisdom from 240 ethnic groups on every continent about this way of life, seeking to find a voice that harkens back to our ancient identity. This is wisdom based in villages and tribes, wisdom built on awareness of the natural world and awareness of the basic human needs often ignored by modern life. Often funny and eccentric, the quotes offered here avoid glorifying indigenous people and instead seek to show the full texture of human experience while revealing the common truths we share.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.