How shall people of conscience knowing our history live today? This is the awkward practical question implicit in this volume of thoughtful essays by six highly respected Native American writers. As they address the European occupation of America a recurrent theme emerges: a sadness for opportunities lost -- a personal sadness for the loss of their cultures and people and a broader sadness for opportunities lost to entire nations in that failed chance for partnership. They also affirm those lost opportunities that can still be regained, those that await our diligent efforts to create work and a more society.
In this work by Simon Ortiz, Sand Creek shines like a dark star over a continent of pain, and gives the poet a powerful vision which is alternately personal, social-political and historical: a vision of damnation and resistance which is nevertheless understanding and even hopeful. Thomas McGrath
A member of the Acoma Pueblo in Arizona, Ortiz's poems evoke love and family and ceremony, the strains of disenfranchisement and the beautiful dry land.
Po'pay led the Pueblo revolt of 1680, which ousted the Spanish from New Mexico until 1692. In conjunction with the 2005 placing of a statue of the leader in the US Capitol's National Statuary Hall, a historian and tribal leader from New Mexico Pueblos present the first book on this leader and his legacy from a Pueblo perspective. It includes a foreword by New Mexico governor Bill Richardson, a chronology, images of the statue, and commemorative statements. Annotation ©2007 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.