- Table View
- List View
Someone has to keep their head, as Mum used to say, and 11-year-old Martha is used to being that someone in her family. Her little brother, Tug, is too small. Her dad has been acting too strange. And Mum's not here anymore.So when Dad falls off the roof, it's Martha who ices his knee and takes him to the doctor. And when Dad doesn't come home, it's Martha who cooks Tug's favorite pie and reads him his bedtime story. And when Dad passes out, it's Martha who cleans him up and keeps his secret. But eventually Dad's problems become too big for even Martha to solve, and she realizes it's not all up to her--there are people and places she can turn to.From the Hardcover edition.
Four funny and fabulous stories told by each member of the unforgettable Quigley family. Meet Dad, Mum, Will, and Lucy, whose hilarious exploits have created a modern classic for bedtime reading, a treat to be enjoyed by both old and young.From the Hardcover edition.
NOW AVAILABLE IN paperback, the Quigleys return in this second collection of stories. Funny and instantly recognizable from their last adventures, this time the family goes camping in France. Mum stars in the skipping competition at the local village fete; Will gets locked in his empty school; and Dad (not surprisingly) loses the pet bird. Here are four more hilarious escapades from this irrepressible yet warmly affectionate family. " Simon paints a picture of a remarkably recognizable, but totally unique family. British words and spellings add to the fun. They are a family like most of ours-- full of life and ridiculous, but ordinary experiences. This will be the next treat for the Hurwitz and Cleary crowd. " -- "Kirkus" "From the Hardcover edition. "
Five more stories about the irrepressible Quigleys (and including a surprise guest appearance from next-door neighbour's cat, Fatbrain). Will makes a huge effort to get on with the sullen Robinson Potts, an unwelcome visitor on the family's weekend away. Lucy desperately hopes that her birthday party will occur without mishap even though Dad is promising to make it an event to remember. . . and Mum gets stuck on the roof - with Fatbrain. In the fourth book of the series, Simon Mason reveals the charm and humour in the everyday life of an ordinary (yet unique) family. These are perfect stories for reading aloud, and for young children to read by themselves.
The Quigleys are back! When the family visits a smart hotel, Will gets into all sorts of trouble when he tries to be charming - which has interesting results. And on Mother's Day, the family walk turns into an unforgettable adventure - when the terrifying Pokehead saves Lucy from an equally terrifying bull - Four more hilarious stories about this unforgettable yet entirely recognizable family.
Get the lowdown on the best fiction ever written. Over 230 of the world's greatest novels are covered, from Quixote(1614) to Orhan Pamuk's Snow(2002), with fascinating information about their plots and their authors, and suggestions for what to read next. The guide comes complete with recommendations of the best editions and translations for every genre from the most enticing crime and punishment, to love, sex, heroes and anti-heroes, not to mention all the classics of comedy and satire, horror and mystery and many other literary genres. With feature boxes on experimental novels, female novelists, short reviews of interesting film and TV adaptations, and information on how the novel began, this guide will point you to all the classic literature you'll ever need.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.