- Table View
- List View
When an aunt drops five-year-old Heidi off to live with her grandfather in the Alps--the two of them alone in a small hut on a hill--she's initially very lonely. Soon, however, she comes to appreciate her new, simple life; she loves walking through the pastures with her friend Peter the goatherd and spending quiet time with her grandfather. Three years later, Heidi's aunt returns to take her to the town to become a companion for Clara, a sick little girl of a wealthy family. But even though Heidi bonds with Clara and brings new life to the household, she becomes more and more homesick and wants desperately to return to her grandfather.Since its original publication in Switzerland in 1880, Johanna Spyri's classic story has delighted generations of children. The book has been translated into more than fifty languages and has sold over fifty million copies. Simple writing, a lovely, relatable plot, and a recognition of the importance of family and nature make Heidi a great book for families to read aloud. Now with charming full-color photographs of the scenery around which Heidi would have grown up, this is a fantastic gift for children at any time of year.
One of the most popular pieces of children's literature ever written After the death of her mother, Heidi, a rosy-cheeked six-year-old, is dropped off on the doorstep of her grandfather, who lives in the mountains above a Swiss town. Grandfather is a frightening and withdrawn old man who has no use for the antics of a young girl, but the whole town falls in love with Heidi's innocent spirit, and she in turn begins to feel affection for her grandfather. From the blooming meadows in the valley of the Swiss Alps to a "haunted" house in Frankfurt, Johanna Spyri's classic is suffused with Heidi's warmth. This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.
The most popular piece of Swiss literature ever written, this book is a condensed Tamil translation of a novel about the events in the life of a young girl Heidi, in her grandfather's care, in the Swiss Alps.
The story of Heidi was written over one hundred years ago, however, it is far from a period piece. In the Swiss Alps, where it is set, a hundred years is just the blink of an eye. We see in her the daughter that every mother dreams of having and every little girl dreams of being. Her presence makes us happy, and so her story has endured. This deluxe Children's Classic edition is produced with high-quality, leatherlike binding with gold stamping, full-color covers, colored endpapers with a book nameplate. Some of the other titles in this series include: Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, King Arthur and His Knights, Little Women, and The Secret Garden.From the Hardcover edition.
Orphaned Heidi lives with her gruff but caring grandfather on the side of Swiss mountain, where she befriends young Peter the goat-herd. She leads an idyllic life, until she is forced to leave the mountain she has always known to go and live with a sickly girl in the city. Will Heidi ever see her grandfather again? A classic tale of a young girl's coming-of-age, of friendship, and familial love, Heidi has inspired countless dramatic versions, both on TV and in film, including Shirley Temple's famous 1937 version.
Beloved classic about the effervescent, nature-loving Swiss miss who ultimately transforms the lives of many people -- among them Clara, a handicapped young lady from a wealthy German family; Peter, a goatherd, and his blind grandmother; and above all, Heidi's embittered, reclusive grandfather.
This adaptation of Johanna Spyri's classic story of an orphan who goes to live with her grandfather in the Swiss Alps, and is then sent to stay with a rich family as companion to a sick girl, is now available in this Scholastic Classics paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.