- Table View
- List View
Jake Semple and E.D. Applewhite are back, this time facing a financial meltdown E.D.'s father has called "the end of the world!" Famously creative Randolph Applewhite hatches a plan to save the family from poverty and starvation: They will turn the sixteen acres of their family compound, Wit's End, into Eureka!, a summer camp for creative children. The plan will demand the all-out efforts of the whole family, including Jake, who has managed to survive his first year in their home school. The whole thing seems like a good idea . . . . . . until-in the midst of the ordinary chaos of temperamental artists; talented, intense, headstrong campers; a dead possum; and rampaging goats-anonymous, threatening notes begin mysteriously appearing in the Applewhites' roadside mailbox. Can E.D., Jake, and the Eureka! campers prevent a head-on collision with disaster? In this hilarious, masterful sequel to Stephanie S. Tolan's Newbery Honor Book, Surviving the Applewhites, the Applewhite family returns, more outrageous than ever.
When fifteen-year-old Jared is forced to live with the father he has never met, he joins his father's theatrical troupe during of production of Shakespeare's Richard III. First-time actor Jared must cope by himself with a hostile, competitive half brother who's a television star, until he is befriended by the spirit of an old actor -- a delightful ghost who vows that Jared will become a star as well. The production -- and Jared's performance -- seem charmed . . . but then Jared realizes that he and his brother have begun to enact a real-life tragedy that echoes the plot of Shakespeare's bloody play.
Charley knows a lot about pain. She endures it when she walks on her newly shattered leg, she sees it when her father buries himself in an eighty-hour work week, and she runs from it when she sees photographs her mother took before her death. Then one day, Charley meets a wild, abused dog that knows as much about pain as she does, and, despite herself, she feels an immediate connection and vows to help him. But how will one heartbroken girl help mend the battered spirit of an untamable dog?
Bran's been hiding a horrible secret. Now that it's out, the town of Ridgewood wants him out. With Molly and David on his side, Bran might have had a chance against the teenage bullies. But fear spreads like a contagion -- until the whole town is infected with prejudice, ignorance, and hysteria. Yet even as events spin out of control, friendship grows, and Molly, David and Bran are left alone to stand against the Plague.
In this "thought-provoking and engrossing" ("School Library Journal") novel by the author of "Who's There?", a young girl's family gets concerned by her deep involvement with a class Halloween pageant.
Will anyone take on Jake Semple? Jake Semple is notorious. Rumor has it he burned down his old school and got kicked out of every school in his home state. Only one place will take him now, and that's a home school run by the Applewhites, a chaotic and hilarious family of artists. The only one who doesn't fit the Applewhite mold is E.D.-a smart, sensible girl who immediately clashes with the unruly Jake. Jake thinks surviving this one will be a breeze . . . but is he really as tough or as bad as he seems?
From the author's web site: In a world of random violence and multiplying militias, four brilliant young misfits are thrown together in a group home for troubled youth. Isolated by their special abilities, Miranda, Doug, Taryn, and Elijah are unable to cope in a society that regards them as freaks. But in the experimental program they dub the Ark, the four discover they are not alone. Slowly, as connections form among them, they discover that their minds have a power they could never have imagined. Drawn together by their deep concern for the future, they embark on a mission to stop the violence that is engulfing the world. The challenge seems impossible.... In this compelling, sensitively written story, Stephanie Tolan paints a disturbing picture of a violence-ridden world. Yet her characters offer a bright ray of hope for anyone who cares about the fate of the earth. The story of the Ark is gripping, suspenseful, heartbreaking, and, ultimately, inspiring.
When 14-year-old Drew and her mute brother come to live with their father's estranged relatives, they discover that the house is haunted by ghosts and a deadly family secret.
The best dog story you could wish for! Max is handling his parents' divorce, his new home and school, and a big bully named Nick the only way he knows how: by running away in his head. Through his imagination, he and his wonderful dog King have thrilling adventures; they conquer aliens and slay dragons; they embarrass Nick so he never comes near Max again. If only King were real . . . Then Max happens upon a store called Wishworks, Inc., which promises his wish will come true in real life, "guaranteed." He wishes for a real dog like King to fulfill all his dreams. And then a real dog named Goldie appears on his doorstep . . . but she may be a little more real than Max expects!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.