After being injured while racing in Ireland's famous Foster Stakes, the Black and Alec head to the Irish coast to recuperate. While there, they are charmed by the pleasant people and intrigued by tales of the kelpie, a shape-shifting creature of myth who carries unsuspecting riders off to a watery grave. Alec meets a lonely local girl, Mora, who has found a stray pony. Alec, recognizing her love of horses, teaches her to ride. But when Mora disappears, Alec realizes that she has been carried off by the mythical kelpie. Now, Alec and the Black must race the shape-shifter, not realizing that if they lose, not only will Mora be lost forever, but so will the Black.From the Hardcover edition.
It has all the makings of a glorious day--the Black has just won the America's Cup! But the fruits of victory quickly sour when it is learned that the Black's challenger, shying at a shadow on the track, has suffered a fatal fall. Now, the Black himself is hobbled by a fear of shadows, a problem that could end his brilliant racing career. Will the Black become the next victim if he is not cured of his fright?From the Trade Paperback edition.
Sired by the champion Black Stallion, Black Storm is everything a race horse should be--strong and fast, brave and proud. But he is also very hard to handle, and his unruly nature makes him a misfit at Hopeful Farm. Young jockey Alec Ramsay continues to believe in the unpredictable colt, confident that Storm has it in his blood to become a champion steeplechaser. Unfortunately, Storm's trainer, Henry, has lost patience with the colt's violent mood swings and is threatening to sell the magnificent animal--at any price. Now Alec must convince Henry to allow him and Storm to enter one more race together. One more chance for the Black Stallion's Steeplechaser to prove himself a winner. And one last chance to save Hopeful Farm. . .
In this prequel to The Black Stallion, we learn the story of the Black before he was shipwrecked with Alec Ramsay. Born in the mountain stronghold of Sheikh Abu Ishak, the colt shows great promise. During a band of robbers' attempt to steal him, the colt escapes and learns to survive on his own in the high mountains. Will he ever find his way home?From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.