- Table View
- List View
After being injured while racing in Ireland's famous Foster Stakes, the Black and Alec head to the Irish coast to recuperate. While there, they are charmed by the pleasant people and intrigued by tales of the kelpie, a shape-shifting creature of myth who carries unsuspecting riders off to a watery grave. Alec meets a lonely local girl, Mora, who has found a stray pony. Alec, recognizing her love of horses, teaches her to ride. But when Mora disappears, Alec realizes that she has been carried off by the mythical kelpie. Now, Alec and the Black must race the shape-shifter, not realizing that if they lose, not only will Mora be lost forever, but so will the Black.From the Hardcover edition.
It has all the makings of a glorious day--the Black has just won the America's Cup! But the fruits of victory quickly sour when it is learned that the Black's challenger, shying at a shadow on the track, has suffered a fatal fall. Now, the Black himself is hobbled by a fear of shadows, a problem that could end his brilliant racing career. Will the Black become the next victim if he is not cured of his fright?From the Trade Paperback edition.
Black Storm was born for greatness. Sired by the Black Stallion, champion of all race horses, Storm is everything that a race horse should be-strong and fast, brave and proud. But Storm is also very difficult to handle, and his wild, unruly nature makes him a misfit at Hopeful Farm. Though everyone else has given up on the unpredictable colt, young jockey Alec Ramsay continues to believe in Storm. Confident that Storm has it in his blood to be a champion steeplechaser, he believes that the speed of the race and the dangerous jumps will provide the perfect challenge for this daring horse. But during their first steeplechase race together, Storm throws Alec, and the horse is soon on the verge of losing his place at the farm. Storm's trainer, Henry, has had enough of the colt's violent mood swings. He makes it clear that Alec is wasting his time-and possibly risking his life. When Alec stubbornly persists in defending Storm, Henry threatens to sell the horse to any taker. With mounting bills and barn help in short supply, every lost race is plunging the struggling farm deeper in debt. Now Alec must convince Henry to allow him one more race with Storm-one more chance for the Black Stallion's Steeplechaser to prove himself a winner. And one more chance to help save Hopeful Farm . . . steven farley is the son of Walter Farley, the man who started the tradition with the best-loved horse story of all time, The Black Stallion. A freelance writer based in' Manhattan, he travels frequently, especially to places where he can enjoy riding, diving, and son-ing. Mr. Farley is also the author of The Black Stallion s Shadow.
In this prequel to The Black Stallion, we learn the story of the Black before he was shipwrecked with Alec Ramsay. Born in the mountain stronghold of Sheikh Abu Ishak, the colt shows great promise. During a band of robbers' attempt to steal him, the colt escapes and learns to survive on his own in the high mountains. Will he ever find his way home?From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.