- Table View
- List View
This National Geographic health book provides portable answers to treating common ailments using proven natural therapies. Runny nose, watery eyes, sinus headache? Don't reach for the Claritin. Instead, learn how to treat seasonal allergies with nasal lavage, a time-honored practice. Upset stomach? Forget chalky antacids; instead wear an acupressure wrist band or chew on a teaspoon of fennel, favored by Indians for combating the effects of spicy food. Fight insomnia with valerian root, the leading natural herb to promote quality sleep with no side effects. Sections include: · Acupressure (use a wrist band to relieve motion sickness, soothe sore feet, treat constipation, relieve wrist tension, alleviate headaches and neck tension, and more) · Aromatherapy (De-stress in the tub, relieve a headache, scent a room to create a mood, mix a body oil, make a compress, and more) · Ayurvedic Medicine (learn the Sanskrit history of "the science of life and longevity," how to evaluate practitioners, about ayurvedic "energy prints," and more) · Breath Therapy (Relax with Wu, Do the 4-7-8 relaxation breath, strengthen diaphragm muscles, use the 20-Cycle Breath to improve concentration, and more) · Herbs (Fennel, Peppermint, Valerian Root, Chamomile) · Hydrotherapy (drink the correct amount of water for your body, fight a cold, treat a bruise, rub away fatigue, soothe a sunburn, and more) · Massage Therapy (learn quickie massages to do on yourself to: release facial tension, relax your shoulders, help your hands, and release your lower back) · Meditation (specific exercises designed to focus on your breath, chant, focus on touch, be mindful) · Nasal Lavage and Steam Therapy (clears sinuses, relieves congestion) · Qigong (a five-minute meditation to focus your qi energy, learn and practice the simple eight postures of qigong) · Reflexology (follow instructions to perform a simple reflexology treatment that can be done anywhere to relax and invigorate your hands) · Shiatsu (learn how to choose a good shiatsu practitioner, follow instructions to perform a full body shiatsu routine on yourself) · Traditional Chinese Medicine (learn about herbs, heat, and cupping) · Yoga (learn or perfect your chair pose, tree pose, and cobra)
Movingly rendered, The Book of the Vision Quest is for all who long for renewal and personal transformation. In this revised edition--with two new chapters and added tales from vision questers--Steven Foster recounts his experiences guiding contemporary seekers. He recreates an ancient rite of passage--that of "dying," "passing through," and "being reborn"--known as a vision quest. A sacred ceremony that culminates in a three-day, three-night fast, alone, in a place of natural power, the vision quest is a mystical, practical, and intensely personal journey of self-knowledge.
Over 2 Million Positive Discipline Books Sold! A Positive Approach To Helping Children With Special Needs Realize Their Potential. Every child deserves to lead a happy and fulfilling life. For parents and teachers of children with special needs, helping their child to not only negotiate daily challenges, but to live fulfilling, meaningful lives, can be the most difficult challenge they will face. Over the years, millions of parents and teachers have come to trust Jane Nelsen's classic Positive Discipline series for its consistent, commonsense approach to childrearing. Now, the bestselling series addresses the specific challenges that parents and teachers of children with special needs face, and offers them straightforward advice for supporting them in positive ways. In these pages are practical solutions to challenges such as: Learning to look beyond diagnostic labels; Believing in each child's potential regardless of his/her stage of development; Helping children integrate socially and interact with their peers; Coping with the frustration that inevitably occurs when a child is being difficult; Strengthening a child's sense of belonging and significance; And Many More! Use this book to answer such questions as: * How do you accommodate a disability, while still teaching a child to try their best? * How do you help a child cope with anger they may have trouble expressing, especially when that anger may on some level be justified? * How do you teach a child who may struggle with seemingly straight forward tasks to contribute to the world around them in a way that will be meaningful to them? "If you are raising or teaching a child with special needs, this book is a must-read. As the mother of a child with autism, my hopes and dreams for my son were no different than those of other parents. I wanted a parenting approach that helped my child grow up to be self confident, happy, and prepared for success in relationships, work, and life. I also needed practical, effective methods for addressing the significant, challenging behaviors I faced on a daily basis. Finally, in this amazing book, I found both....Thank you, thank you, thank you to the authors of this groundbreaking book." - Rachel Fink Parks, MS, PCC.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.