The latest scientific research confirms that you can live well and long with diabetes without suffering from its more devastating health complications. Whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you have the ability to improve the quality and length of your life through physical activity, a positive mental outlook, and certain diabetes tools and medications. Now, the longest living people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes share the secrets that have helped them achieve longevity and wellness. From interviews with more than fifty people who have thrived with the condition for as many as 84 years, diabetes authorities Drs. Colberg and Edelman distill their lifelong habits into fifty user-friendly, easy-to-adopt secrets. Featuring profiles of ten people who have each lived an average of 65 years with diabetes and practical advice for incorporating each secret into your daily life, this invaluable resource will inform, inspire, and motivate you to live well--and fully--to 90 and beyond. Find out what some of the secrets are: * Live first and be diabetic second * Know your numbers and assume nothing * Have kids if you want to * Erase your mistakes with exercise No matter what type of diabetes you have, you control the ability to escape serious complications (or control the ones you may have) and add years, if not decades, to your life.
When you or a loved one has diabetes, it can bring stress, tension, and worry into your relationship. Using current medical information, skill-building exercises, questionnaires, personal anecdotes, and humor, The Secrets of Living and Loving with Diabetes helps readers gain control of their diabetes and reach a new level of confidence in their relationships.In this book, three experts deliver advice on issues such as handling nagging friends and relatives, injecting insulin discreetly while dining out, bringing up the subject of blood sugar highs and lows before turning out the bedroom lights, and avoiding diabetes urgencies becoming emergencies. Also included are practical tools like exercises, quizzes, questions, checklists, and coping strategies.According to the American Diabetes Association, over 29 million people in the US have diabetes-nearly 10% of the population. There is a great urgency to not only better understand the physical effects of diabetes, but the emotional and interpersonal ones as well. The Secrets of Living and Loving with Diabetes helps readers take control of their diabetes; deal with fears, feelings, and emotions; enlist support from family, friends, and online resources; have diabetes and a fulfilling sex life; and discover the communication tools needed to build better relationships.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.