- Table View
- List View
A hefty dictionary of over 1,000 entries featuring brief biographies of the lives and work of influential philosophers during the 20th century. The editors have also included thinkers who perhaps would not be strictly considered "philosopher," but have nonetheless made important intellectual contributions (Hannah Arendt, Noam Chomsky, Umberto Eco, C.G. Jung, Julia Kristeva, Max Weber). Besides the comprehensive and consistent scope of the dictionary, the volume also features a bibliography for each entry, a glossary containing short accounts of the origins, development and features of the major schools, movements and traditions in philosophy, and cross referenced indices. Annotation c. by Book News, Inc., Portland, Or.
KaBOOM! chronicles Darell Hammond's amazing journey from a childhood spent living in a group home in Illinois to becoming the cofounder and CEO of KaBOOM!, an organization with this mission at its core: harnessing the power of community to save play for children... one playground at a time. Like The Blue Sweater and Three Cups of Tea, KaBOOM! demonstrates how one idealist can change the world and how small, civic-minded steps create a ripple effect that can precipitate change in communities and eventually change in the world at large. More than just a memoir, KaBOOM! is a call to action that will inspire readers by challenging them to rethink traditional notions of community and social change. This is the story of a man with a vision: Play is the best natural resource in a creative economy. Kids need more of it-it is not a luxury but a necessity for their lives. Through hard work, commitment, and the conviction that access to a safe play environment is the fundamental right of all children, Hammond built an organization that has raised almost $200 million, directly built 2,000 playgrounds with a million volunteers, and touched the lives of countless children and families. Photo captions are included after the index, starting on p. 287.
Read Stuart Brown's posts on the Penguin Blog. From a leading expert, a groundbreaking book on the science of play, and its essential role in fueling our happiness and intelligence throughout our lives We've all seen the happiness on the face of a child while playing in the school yard. Or the blissful abandon of a golden retriever racing across a lawn. This is the joy of play. By definition, play is purposeless, all-consuming, and fun. But as Dr. Stuart Brown illustrates, play is anything but trivial. It is a biological drive as integral to our health as sleep or nutrition. We are designed by nature to flourish through play. Dr. Brown has spent his career studying animal behavior and conducting more than six- thousand "play histories" of humans from all walks of life-from serial murderers to Nobel Prize winners. Backed by the latest research, Play (20,000 copies in print) explains why play is essential to our social skills, adaptability, intelligence, creativity, ability to problem solve and more. Particularly in tough times, we need to play more than ever, as it's the very means by which we prepare for the unexpected, search out new solutions, and remain optimistic. A fascinating blend of cutting-edge neuroscience, biology, psychology, social science, and inspiring human stories of the transformative power of play, this book proves why play just might be the most important work we can ever do.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.