Focusing on theoretical, policy and practice issues which are predicted to become fundamental priorities in the near future, the contributors to this important book examine how dementia care works around the globe. They explore the theory underpinning dementia care, the applications of this theory in the latest dementia care research and how this research is influencing and shaping practice. The contributors are leading practitioners, policy influencers and researchers who analyse case studies from the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, India, France and Malta with the aim of encouraging a dialogue and exchange of interdisciplinary initiatives and ideas. Their insights into how policy and dementia strategies are developed, and the range of approaches that can be taken in dementia care practice, are a positive step towards ensuring that the needs of people with dementia around the world are met, both now and in the future. This book makes essential reading for practitioners, researchers, policy makers and students in the field of dementia care.
Should you intervene in the life of the 48-year-old woman whose dwelling is stuffed with accumulated rubbish and who will not let anyone help get rid of it - or the 78-year-old surrounded by putrescent food and filth - or the 'animal accumulator'? Cases of severe domestic squalor (sometimes called Diogenes Syndrome) are among the most complex and difficult faced by community agencies. Local councils, housing officers, health professionals, social services, animal welfare agencies, public guardians and of course relatives and neighbours often feel powerless and lack confidence about what to do when faced with such situations. The guidelines, recommendations and case examples in Severe Domestic Squalor will help concerned people to understand what can be done and how, by providing an understanding of the causative factors and who should take the lead in dealing with them.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.