The turbulence of the current times has dramatically transformed the world's economic geographies. The scale and scope of such changes require urgent attention. With intellectual roots dating to the nineteenth century, economic geography has traditionally sought to examine the spatial distributions of economic activity and the principles that account for them. More recently, the field has turned its attention to a range of questions relating to: globalization and its impact on different peoples and places; economic inequalities at different geographic scales; the development of the knowledge-based economy; and the relationship between economy and environment. Now, more than ever, the changing fortunes of peoples and places demands our attention. Economic Geography provides a stimulating and innovative introduction to economic geography by establishing the substantive concerns of economic geographers, the methods deployed to study them, the key concepts and theories that animate the field, and the major issues generating debate. This book is the first to address the diverse approaches to economic geography as well as the constantly shifting economic geographies on the ground. It encompasses traditional approaches, albeit from a critical perspective, while providing a thorough, accessible and engaging examination of the concerns, methods and approaches of the 'new economic geography'. This unique introductory text covers the breadth of economic geography while engaging with a range of contemporary debates at the cutting-edge of the field. Written in an accessible and lucid style, this book offers a thorough and systematic introductory survey. It is enhanced by pedagogical features throughout including case studies dealing with topics ranging from the head office locations of the Fortune 500, Mexico's maquiladoras to China's investments in Southern Africa. This book also contains exercises based on the key concepts and annotated further reading and websites.
How the new science of "metabolic programming" can help you: Maximize your baby's IQ and development / Prevent allergies and obesity / Prevent or cure picky eating / Teach your child to enjoy healthy foods / Protect against family health problems AND make mealtimes a pleasure for you and your child! In this groundbreaking book, two leading pediatric nutritionists--and experienced parents!--introduce exciting new research into "metabolic programming" and make it accessible and practical for every busy parent. They explain: How the foods you choose can optimize your baby's future development, IQ bone strength, and immunity / The eight key nutrients to focus on / Scientifically based "smart strategies" for working with your child's inborn instincts to build healthy eating habits / Food solutions for common problems--including colic, constipation, poor sleep, and hyperactivity / How to prevent or deal with food allergies or obesity / Easy ways to adapt family meals for kids--with menus and portion sizes for every stage from birth through age six, plus essential tips for food safety. What's more, you can teach your child to enjoy these healthy foods and banish food battles and picky eating forever. (From the Trade Paperback edition.)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.