- Table View
- List View
Since the breed's creation at the turn of the twentieth century, the German Shepherd Dog has been one of the world's most sought-after purebred dogs, prized for his intelligence, handsome looks, and uncanny versatility. This Comprehensive Owner's Guide serves as an ideal introduction to this dog of dogs, that serves humankind as a companion, protector, police dog, herding dog, military dog, search and rescue dog, Seeing Eye dog, and therapy dog, to name a few of the breed's modern-day roles.. The breed's origins are retold in the first chapter, beginning with the efforts of Max Emil Friedrich von Stephanitz to standardize the sheep-herding dogs in Germany in the 1890s and following the breed's importation to the United States, where the German Shepherd Dog has been a favored companion, show dog, and competition trial dog since the 1920s. The chapter on the breed's characteristics focuses on owner suitability, describing the GSD's physical and mental traits, versatility, agility, and requirements. The breed standard is presented in the third chapter, giving the readers a clear view of how the ideal GSD should look, act, and move.New owners will welcome the well-prepared chapter on finding a reputable breeder and selecting a healthy, sound puppy. Chapters on puppy-proofing the home and yard, purchasing the right supplies for the puppy as well as house-training, feeding, and grooming are illustrated with photographs of handsome adults and puppies. In all, there are over 135 full-color photographs in this useful and reliable volume. The author's advice on obedience training will help the reader better mold and train into the most well-mannered dog in the neighborhood. The extensive and lavishly illustrated chapter on healthcare provides up-to-date detailed information on selecting a qualified veterinarian, vaccinations, preventing and dealing with parasites, infectious diseases, and more. Sidebars throughout the text offer helpful hints, covering topics as diverse as historical dogs, breeders, or kennels, toxic plants, first aid, crate training, carsickness, fussy eaters, and parasite control. Fully indexed.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.