- Table View
- List View
The book provides readers with theory and skills in a manner that helps them apply what they've learned throughout their lives. Understanding that the challenge in communication is learning the myriad of skills, principles, and theories without being overwhelmed, Beebe, Beebe, and Ivy emphasize five key principles of communication throughout their book.
This book is a handbook about how to prepare, develop, and deliver a speech. Both theoretical and concrete topics are explored and the authors describe in much detail the use of technology. Specifically, the authors discuss such aspects of the speech preparation, development, and delivery process as the context and the style and type of speech. Besides these traditional aspects of speech preparation and development, the authors discuss the impact of the audience upon the speakers as they engage in this ongoing speech process, the attitudes, emotional states, and values of the speakers, and the quality of the speech in terms of articulation and content. In order to insure reader comprehension, every chapter contains lists of items that can be checked off as each step in the process of preparing a speech is completed. Also, each chapter contains a feature called a brief ethics section which focuses on the ethical consideration in the speech development, preparation, and delivery process. In short, all aspects of the speech process are covered.
Recognized for its focus on being "other-oriented" - a focal point that highlights the importance interpersonal interactions -Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others enhances communication competence in a variety of interpersonal relationships and interpersonal contexts. This sixth edition emphasizes the expanding role of technology in interpersonal communication and the implication of its use in our daily relationships and communication with others. Relating to Others also offers exceptional coverage of cultural diversity, to help readers understand and adapt to these differences while learning how to establish common links with other individuals enabling them to build and strengthen relationships in their everyday lives.
The unique, audience-centered approach of this top-selling text emphasizes that success in public speaking depends on how listeners interpret the message. Public Speaking: An Audience-Centered Approach brings theory and practice together in an understandable and applicable manner. Its distinctive and popular approach emphasizes the importance of analyzing and considering the audience at every point along the way, with marginal icons highlighting audience-related discussions. This model of public speaking serves as a foundation as the text guides students through the step-by-step process of public speaking, focuses their attention on the importance and dynamics of diverse audiences, and narrows the gap between the classroom and the real world.
The book brings theory and practice together and guides the reader through the step-by-step process of public speaking, focusing their attention on the dynamics of diverse audiences, and narrowing the gap between practice and the real world.
This Handbook provides a unique, audience-centered approach in a reader-friendly reference format, allowing quick and easy access to key information and serves as a foundation through step-by-step process of public speaking, focusing the attention of readers on the importance and dynamics of diverse audiences.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.