- Table View
- List View
One tragic traffic accident. Five university students killed. One survivor. A shocking case of mistaken identity that thrust two families into a bond of grief and joy beyond imagining. This is the story of two students from Indiana's Taylor University, Lauren Vand Ryn and Whitney Cerak: one buried under the wrong name, one critically injured and in a coma being cared for by the wrong family, and the heart-wrenching discovery five weeks later that they had been mistaken for one another. The Van Ryns and Ceraks now come together, two years later, to recount the amazing drama as it unfolded. Not only do they reveal the inspiring healing journey of survivor Whitney Cerak as she comes to terms with her own identity -- now altered by the injuries she suffered -- but also the recovery of two traumatized families as they describe the bond of faith that sustains and unites them, as they each came to terms with their bizarre reversal of life lost and life found.
This true story is a shocking case of mistaken identity that stunned the country and made national news. Would it destroy a family? Shatter their faith? Push two families into bitterness, resentment, and guilt? This is an unprecedented account of two traumatized families who describe their ordeal and explore the bond sustaining and uniting them as they deal with their bizarre reversal of life lost and life found. And join Whitney Cerak, the sole surviving student, as she comes to terms with her new identity, forever altered, yet on the brink of new beginnings.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.