Young readers are in for the most exciting trip of their lives as they venture into a nuclear submarine! While touring the vessel from bow to stern, they learn about the history and mechanics of subs, their military and scientific uses, and the incredible discomfort-and danger-of life onboard. Illustrated with photographs, this is easy-to-read, high-interest nonfiction at its most compelling!
Features the amazing and heroic true stories of people who were caught in the World Trade Center during the first bombing of the twin towers. Over 1000 people were trapped in the Twin Towers when a bomb went off in the basement garage in 1993. Follow the stories of students, tourists, workers, and rescuers as they deal with the aftermath. Picture descriptions present.
Illus. in full color. Here is the gripping story of Hillary and Norgay's perilous ascent of Mount Everest as they battled snow and ice slides, whipping winds, and the grim knowledge that 19 others had died in the same attempt.
Called the "Great Pathfinder", Daniel Boone is most famous for opening up the West to settlers through Kentucky. A symbol of America's pioneering spirit Boone was a skilled outdoorsman and an avid reader although he never attended school. <P><P>Sydelle Kramer skillfully recounts Boone's many adventures such as the day he rescued his own daughter from kidnappers.
When Portuguese sailor Ferdinand Magellan set sail from Spain in 1519, he believed he could get to the Spice Islands by sailing west through or around the New World. He was right, but what he didn't know was that the treacherous voyage would take him three years and cost him his life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.