- Table View
- List View
Noren had now come to believe in the Prophecy's fulfillment, yet the more he learned of the grim truth, the less possible it seemed that their world could ever be changed. Was it right to keep on promising them a brighter future?
Book Three of the Children of the Star trilogy. Noren knew that his world was not as it should be -- it was wrong that only the Scholars, and their representatives the Technicians, could use metal tools and Machines. It was wrong that only they had access to the mysterious City, which even as a child he had longed to enter. Above all, it was wrong for the Scholars to have sole power over the distribution of knowledge. The High Law imposed these restrictions and many others, though the Prophecy declared that someday knowledge and Machines would be available to everyone. Noren, convicted in youth of heresy, had only recently come to believe in the Prophecy's fulfillment. And the more he learned of the grim truth about his people's deprivations, the less possible it seemed that their world could ever be changed. It would take more drastic steps than anyone had imagined to restore their rightful heritage.
Enchantress from the Stars is an independent, 290 page science fantasy novel first published in 1970 and written by the highly acclaimed Sylvia Engdahl. This edition contains a forward by Lois Lowry. The combination of magic, technology, and psychic powers in the novel is based on Engdahl's theory that civilizations evolve through three stages of belief and morality. The survey force of the galactic government is dedicated to the shielding of planets that have fledgling human cultures from anything that might interfere with their natural development. Elana and her father are sent on a mission to save the magic believing inhabitants of Andrecia, who are protected, from the primitive colonizing efforts of a neighboring star system, whose race is also protected. The summary by Penguin Books reads as follows: Elana is a member of a supremely advanced intersteller civilization on a mission to the medieval planet Andrecia. To her shock, she becomes the key to a dangerous plan to turn back an invasion by an aggressive, space-faring "Youngling" species. How can she possibly help the Andrecians, who still believe in magic and superstition, without revealing her alien origins? Apprentice Medical Officer Jarel knows that the Imperial Exploration Corps doesn't consider the Andrecians to be human, and he has seen the atrocious treatment the natives get from his people. How can Jarel make a difference, when he alone regrets the destruction his people bring? Georyn, son of an Andrecian woodcutter, knows only that there is a dragon on the other side of the enchanted forest, and he is prepared to do whatever it takes to defeat it. To him, Elana is the Enchantress from the Stars who has come to test him, to prove he is worthy... . A NEWBERY HONOR BOOK WINNER OF THE PHOENIX AWARD
The options "The Younglings you'll deal with are in danger," he said. "Once before you visited a world that was endangered -- to save it. This world we have no power to save. Do you realize what that means?" I was beginning to, and it wasn't a happy realization. ... "It means that there are just three ways it can end," he told me gently. "The danger may not materialize; in that case your personal peril, which will be great, will be all you have to worry about. On the other hand, these people may be wiped out, and if so" -- he paused, his eyes meeting mine, then forged ahead -- "you will either share their fate or stand by, helplessly, and watch it happen." "Watch it happen? Will it be sudden?" "They are on the verge of a nuclear war, Elana."
To prove her independence to her boyfriend, Melinda decides to go to Mars on a pleasure trip, an impromptu decision that changes her entire way of life.
Three hundred people embark on colonization of a raw new planet, hoping that their psi powers will become the foundation of a culture that can someday shape the future of humankind.
When burned-out starship captain Jesse Sanders is seized by a dictatorial medical regime and detained on the colony planet Undine, he has no idea that he is about to be plunged into a bewildering new life that will involve ordeals and joys beyond anything he has ever imagined, as well as the love of a woman with powers that seem superhuman. Still less does he suspect that he must soon take responsibility for the lives of people he has come to care about and the preservation of their hopes for the future of humankind. Winner of a bronze medal in the 2008 Independent Publisher (IPPY) Book Awards, this controversial novel deals with government-imposed health care, end-of-life issues, and the so-called paranormal powers of the human mind. Despite being set in the distant future on another world, it appeals not only to science fiction readers but to others who question the dominant medical philosophy of today's society, or who value personal freedom of choice.
Noren was a heretic. He defied the High Law and had no faith in the Prophecy's fulfillment. But was defiance enough, or could some way be found to make the Prophecy come true?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.