- Table View
- List View
Former Republican Speaker of the House Gingrich, teaming up with Maple (conservation and behavior, Georgia Institute of Technology), addresses environmental issues by rhetorically reprising his signature Contract with America legislative agenda of the 1990s. The new Contract with the Earth rests on 10 key principals: affirm US leadership on environmental issues; provide incentives to "environmental entrepreneurs;" move towards clean technologies; make government a facilitator for entrepreneurial, private sector innovation and private-public partnerships; become "aspirational and inspirational" by reducing the "arbitrary power of our federal bureaucracy;" mobilize the American public behind agreed-on policies; encourage scientific and technical literacy; promote non-partisanship on the environment; encourage strategic environmental philanthropy; and "enlist the nation." Gingrich and Maple defend and expand upon these principals and discuss some of the issues connected with its implementation over the course of the text. Annotation ©2008 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Ethics on the Ark presents a passionate, multivocal discussion--among zoo professionals, activists, conservation biologists, and philosophers--about the future of zoos and aquariums, the treatment of animals in captivity, and the question of whether the individual, the species, or the ecosystem is the most important focus in conservation efforts. Contributors represent all sides of the issues. Moving from the fundamental to the practical, from biodiversity to population regulation, from animal research to captive breeding, Ethics on the Ark represents an important gathering of the many fervent and contentious viewpoints shaping the wildlife conservation debate.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.