- Table View
- List View
This unique collection of translations of Chinese stories explores the manifestations of "self" and the impact of place upon Chinese identity, found both on the mainland and in other Chinese communities such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Though sharing a common cultural heritage, these four communities have different social, political, and economic realities; realities which are reflected in the stories' themes of self, identity, gender, and location. The stories not only demonstrate the diverse creativity of contemporary Chinese authors, they also express the aspirations and fears felt by many who live in places and circumstances where the mass media are controlled by the state and opportunities for open discussion are few and far between. Translated into English for the first time, the stories in A Place of One's Own demonstrate the exciting experimentation unfolding in the genre of the modern Chinese short story. Individually, the stories stand as important contributions to contemporary Chinese literature in translation; collectively as a comprehensive rendering of the transformation of Chinese society today.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.