- Table View
- List View
Much has been written about how people should take care of their pets-but here is a fascinating, documented account of how pets can and do take care of people. Noted actress and animal lover Betty White draws on personal experience and the studies of leading authorities to show how science has confirmed what pet owners have known instinctively all along-that pets contribute to the health and well-being of their owners. Pet-love-"the human/companion animal bond" -is a mutually rewarding relationship. In the past few years, scientific research has not only explained why and how but also greatly extended the possibilities for its use. For instance, "pet therapy" or "pet-facilitated therapy" is currently being used to treat the mentally ill, revitalize the elderly, and motivate the handicapped. This book describes some remarkable case histories. There are new insights now into the attitudes and feelings that humans have toward their pets and therefore new insights into what pets do for us. Many animals give owners who live alone a feeling of security. Walking a dog provides exercise for people who might otherwise never get out of the house. The companionship of pets dramatically reduces feelings of isolation and loneliness. Perhaps most important, pets provoke a strong caring response in their owners. Pets reduce stress, may lower a person's blood pressure, and in other ways can actually improve health and prolong life. Pet-Love is an entertaining book as well as a serious one-just as pets are themselves entertaining. Betty White tells many stories of her own experiences with animals and those of celebrity pet owners such as Carol Burnett, Jimmy Stewart, Mary Tyler Moore, Fred Astaire, and Loretta Swit. It is wonderful to read about the intelligence of Hearing Ear dogs who help their deaf owners cope with life, or how family pets can aid the learning process in children, and how pets can give everyone the happiness of experiencing their un questioning affection.
In this eloquent first-person account of a family drama that changed the face of American business, the man who transformed IBM into the world's largest computer company reflects on his lifelong partnership with his father--and how their management style and shared dedication to excellence united to create a unique corporate culture that became the blueprint for the entire technology boom.In the course of sixty years Thomas J. Watson Sr. and his son, Thomas J. Watson Jr., together built the international colossus that is IBM. This is their story: a riveting and revealing account of two men who loved each other--and fought each other--with a terrible fierceness.But along with the story of a father and son, this is IBM's story too. It chronicles the management insights that shaped its course and its unique corporate culture, the style that made Thomas Watson Sr. one of America's most charismatic bosses, and the daring decisions by Thomas Watson Jr. that transformed IBM into the world's largest computing company. One of the greatest business-success stories of all time, Father, Son & Co. is a moving lesson for fathers who dream for their children, as well as a testament to American ingenuity and values, told in a disarmingly frank and eloquent voice.Promising to remain an important business reference as we move into the next century, FATHER, SON & CO. takes a look at the management insight that helped to shape IBM's course and unique corporate culture. It looks at Watson, Sr., one of America's most charismatic bosses, and Watson, Jr., who spurred IBM into the computer age.Ten years after its original publication, FATHER, SON & CO. remains a uniquely honest book. Watson's willingness to write about the loving but ferociously combative relationship he had with his father and the turbulent battles behind some of IBM's most far-reaching decisions gives readers rare insights into the realities of leadership. -->
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.