- Table View
- List View
A-KICKIN' AND A-GRINNIN' The tiny Caribbean tourist trap of Union Island wants to declare its independence from the U.S. And while baby-faced island leader Greg Grom's "Free Union Island" movement is taken about as seriously as a summer day, good ol' Greg is touring Dixieland's hot spots, from the honky-tonks to the hee-haws, trying to rally support for the cause. And some weird stuff is happening. ... Ordinary beer-swilling, foot-stomping, linedancing yahoos are running amok, brawling like beasts on a rampage. Remo Williams--currently not experiencing a lot of job satisfaction as Reigning Master--spots the connection between the doofball from Union Island and the redneck killer zombies. And he's pretty sure Greg is slipping something into the local brew, but the why is another matter. No biggie. Remo's not in a mood to make friends, or deal with Chiun's abuse or CURE's insults. He's here to smoke some bacon. Happily.
FACT OR FISH STORY? A strange seismic disturbance in the South Pacific has put the world in a fighting mood. Violence is especially high among the peaceniks, as spiritualists morph into savage mobs. Scientists acknowledge that the oceans are shrinking, but nobody can explain why. Chiun knows. It is Sa Mangsang, the Dream Thing, an Elder God disturbed from his slumber who will drink the oceans dry and end life on earth. Harold Smith doesn't buy the supernatural entity theory. He attributes the global bloodlust to the growing pressure and gravitational fluctuations from the water displacement. Steam vents as big as volcanoes burst open around the world. But is it free geothermal power...or a death knell? A typhoon smashes Hawaii; the Amazon is a killer sauna; Rocky Mountain skiers are steamed like clams. Is the world succumbing to a theoretical tectonic hollow...or the will of a giant squid? Either way, it just won a date with Remo, who's ready to fry some calamari.
MEAT OFF THE BONE A giant squid found in the wake of a bizarre oceanic maelstrom dies in a Chicago aquarium. But its eggs are bursting with life-as in megavolts of killer electricity that are luring victims to their death. Sort of. Human flesh zapped into bite-size pieces, the unwilling leftovers manage to pull themselves back together, staying fresh until the next meal. But one of the unlucky entrees is now pulsating with evil energy, becoming stronger as it fries and consumes hapless citizens. Harold Smith reads the situation clearly: this lightning rod of killing power is given the task of protecting the eggs until they reach full earth-consuming maturity. Remo enters the fray, only to discover that this highwattage freak and a huddle of monstrous baby squid are more than ready to take their pound of flesh from the Masters of Sinanju.
When a bunch of greedy professors stole his patent idea, engineering geek Harry Kilgore got mad. And he got even. With his portable air cannon, capable of smashing anything to smithereens with the pure gravitational hammering of a 300 mph gust of wind, he can blow off rocks, bullets, poison gas, Masters of Sinanju--and, of course, all sense of ethics, morality and the law. Harry is stoked on the glory that nothing can stop him from doing whatever his crazy mood strikes-and right now, that means extorting billions of fun money from a Colombian drug cartel. As this maniacal geek and his supersonic air cannon leave a trail of pulverized victims in his wake, CURE must stop him before he rules the world with his mighty wind. So how does Remo figure on blowing Harry out of commission? Blow harder.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.