- Table View
- List View
Balancing concise mathematical analysis with the real-world examples and practical applications that inspire students, this textbook provides a clear and approachable introduction to the physics of waves. The author shows through a broad approach how wave phenomena can be observed in a variety of physical situations and explains how their characteristics are linked to specific physical rules, from Maxwell's equations to Newton's laws of motion. Building on the logic and simple physics behind each phenomenon, the book draws on everyday, practical applications of wave phenomena, ranging from electromagnetism to oceanography, helping to engage students and connect core theory with practice. Mathematical derivations are kept brief and textual commentary provides a non-mathematical perspective. Optional sections provide more examples along with higher-level analyses and discussion. This textbook introduces the physics of wave phenomena in a refreshingly approachable way, making it ideal for first- and second-year undergraduate students in the physical sciences.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.