- Table View
- List View
An eBook edition of Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula with a new extended introduction on vampire myths and legends by leading vampire expert Dr Tina Rath. The introduction explores the development of Vampire myths and legends from early sixteenth-century stories to the current teenage vampire obsession evinced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Twilight series of books and films.From Arnold Paul, an allegedly real vampire of the sixteenth-century, to Lord Byron's physician Dr John Polidori who created the vampire Lord Ruthven, to Camilla, Brunhilda and Varney, who all made their contributions to our picture of the vampire, the picture was completed by Dracula when it was published in 1897. Tina Rath explores our impressions of vampires throughout the ages in books, on stage and on screen, as well discussing the origins of Bram Stoker's Dracula.Dracula is probably the best-known, least-read horror novel in the English (or possibly any other) language. Say 'Dracula' and we all know what we mean: the handsome Master Vampire with sleek dark hair forming a widow's peak on his forehead, a black cloak, possibly lined with red silk, over faultless evening dress, fangs and photophobia. What we will almost certainly not visualise is Stoker's vision of Dracula. Tina explains why.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.