- Table View
- List View
Dorothy Uhnak's terrifying new novel begins with a savage, inexplicable crime: a young woman is murdered on a quiet, residential, respectable Queens, New York, street while her neighbors hear her screams and do nothing to help her... When Miranda Torres, a young New York City detective second grade, arrives on the crime scene, it looks to her at first like just another senseless piece of urban violence, the kind of tragedy that happens several times a day in New York, but rarely in a white, middle-class neighborhood. Soon, however, she becomes aware that there is another dimension to this crime--a dimension that attracts the attention of Mike Stein, a prize-winning celebrity journalist, a dimension which quickly makes Anna Grace's murder headline news--and that is the silence of those who witnessed the crime and turned away... Was Anna Grace a victim of big-city indifference, just another statistic of urban violence--or was there something even more sinister at stake? Miranda, whose sense of justice--and self-respect--will not let her accept the easy way out, or live with a departmental cover-up, pursues her case into the shadowy, dangerous world where politics, the power of the media, and greed meet--a world in which she too almost becomes a victim... In Miranda Torres, Dorothy Uhnak has created her most fascinating heroine--a woman of strength, sensitivity, passion and an unshakable sense of right and wrong, willing to sacrifice everything--her career, the man she loves, even her life--for the truth.
First-grade detective Christie Opara has been assigned to the D.A.'s Special Investigations Squad. A policeman's widow and mother of a six-year-old, now she is told at the last minute to cancel her vacation and tail the daughter of a Supervising Assistant District Attorney of New York County...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.