- Table View
- List View
[from the back cover] "What were jack-o'-lanterns carved from before Europeans discovered pumpkins growing in the New World? Where did we get the idea that witches can fly on broomsticks? The amazing stories behind these and other familiar Halloween symbols can be found far back in history...and in the pages of this entertaining book." If you enjoyed this book and are curious to know about other holidays, the great news is that the rest of the books in this series are all in the Bookshare collection. They're easily accessible resources for ideas to satisfy curiosity, provide background you didn't know, plan parties, and start new or revive old customs. Look for: Hearts, Cupids, and Red Roses The Story of the Valentine Symbols, Shamrocks, Harps, and Shillelaghs The Story of the St. Patrick's Day Symbols, Lilies, Rabbits, and Painted Eggs The Story of the Easter Symbols, Turkeys, Pilgrims, and Indian Corn The Story of the Thanksgiving Symbols, Holly, Reindeer and Colored Lights, The Story of the Christmas Symbols and Fireworks, Picnics and Flags, The Story of the Fourth of July Symbols.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.