- Table View
- List View
[from the back cover] "What were jack-o'-lanterns carved from before Europeans discovered pumpkins growing in the New World? Where did we get the idea that witches can fly on broomsticks? The amazing stories behind these and other familiar Halloween symbols can be found far back in history...and in the pages of this entertaining book." If you enjoyed this book and are curious to know about other holidays, the great news is that the rest of the books in this series are all in the Bookshare collection. They're easily accessible resources for ideas to satisfy curiosity, provide background you didn't know, plan parties, and start new or revive old customs. Look for: Hearts, Cupids, and Red Roses The Story of the Valentine Symbols, Shamrocks, Harps, and Shillelaghs The Story of the St. Patrick's Day Symbols, Lilies, Rabbits, and Painted Eggs The Story of the Easter Symbols, Turkeys, Pilgrims, and Indian Corn The Story of the Thanksgiving Symbols, Holly, Reindeer and Colored Lights, The Story of the Christmas Symbols and Fireworks, Picnics and Flags, The Story of the Fourth of July Symbols.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.