Science journalist McElheny charts the history of the human genome project from the discovery of DNA less than sixty years ago to the real possibility of recreating our own genetic coding. Along the way he puts faces to the scientists working on the project. He also covers the political and ethical debates. For some of the researchers, the search was intensified by personal experiences. One had a brother with Down Syndrome, another a child with schizophrenia. The wide-ranging possibilities of genetic manipulation are discussed, including retro-viruses to treat cancer and AIDS and increase food production. For the most part, McElheny concentrates on telling the story without becoming embroiled in the ethical and religious controversies surrounding the topic. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Insisting on the Impossible: The Life of Edwin Land, Inventor of Instant Photography (Sloan Technology Series)by Victor K. Mcelheny
This fascinating biography of the great inventor and entrepreneur Edwin Land captures the very essence of technological innovation. Renowned as the inventor of instant photography, Land won 535 patents, joining Edison among the world's most prolific inventors. While still in his teens, this Magellan of modern technology invented sheet polarizers and went on to build a tiny research lab into a gigantic enterprise that turned out a vast and continuous array of innovations. McElheny draws a vivid and memorable portrait of this extraordinary man, in the lab, in the boardroom, in high-secret defense work including the spearheading of the U2 spy plane. His penetrating insight into Land's innovative genius will speak to anyone interested in business, science, photography or government.
A real page-turner. . . . If Victor McElheny is not already a prince among science writers, this book should elevate him to that high position. -Judah Folkman, Nature Medicine
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.