- Table View
- List View
Science journalist McElheny charts the history of the human genome project from the discovery of DNA less than sixty years ago to the real possibility of recreating our own genetic coding. Along the way he puts faces to the scientists working on the project. He also covers the political and ethical debates. For some of the researchers, the search was intensified by personal experiences. One had a brother with Down Syndrome, another a child with schizophrenia. The wide-ranging possibilities of genetic manipulation are discussed, including retro-viruses to treat cancer and AIDS and increase food production. For the most part, McElheny concentrates on telling the story without becoming embroiled in the ethical and religious controversies surrounding the topic. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Insisting on the Impossible: The Life of Edwin Land, Inventor of Instant Photography (Sloan Technology Series)by Victor K. Mcelheny
This fascinating biography of the great inventor and entrepreneur Edwin Land captures the very essence of technological innovation. Renowned as the inventor of instant photography, Land won 535 patents, joining Edison among the world's most prolific inventors. While still in his teens, this Magellan of modern technology invented sheet polarizers and went on to build a tiny research lab into a gigantic enterprise that turned out a vast and continuous array of innovations. McElheny draws a vivid and memorable portrait of this extraordinary man, in the lab, in the boardroom, in high-secret defense work including the spearheading of the U2 spy plane. His penetrating insight into Land's innovative genius will speak to anyone interested in business, science, photography or government.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.