- Table View
- List View
When the Healer's Keep is attacked by dark forces, Princess Sara and the foreigner Dorjan join forces with the slave girl Maeve and freeman Jasper to defend it.
Bryn is the daughter of a humble stone-cutter. So no one is more surprised than she when the Master Priest seeks her out to become a student at the famous Temple of the Oracle; a training school for future priests and priestesses. But her innately gifted nature proves a threat to the evil embedded within the Temple, and Bryn encounters unimaginable danger. Is she able to struggle with the unknown and to save the whole world from untold misery? Or will the powers of darkness succeed? From the Hardcover edition.
a versatile and promising new writer who says that it is an "honor" to write for young adults. This novel is followed by a companion piece entitled The Healer's Keep. Princess Torina lives a charmed life, nurtured by loving parents in the mighty kingdom of Archeld. But her father, King Kareed, hungers to extend his boundaries. He seizes the peaceful kingdom of Bellandra-and its legendary sword, rumored to defeat any enemy. On his return, he offers Torina two gifts: a beautiful crystal and the defeated king's son, Landon, as a slave. Both prove more precious than she could ever imagine, for through theta Torina makes two magnificent discoveries: She is a seer, able to view the past and future in her ball, and Lander is not a servant but a peer, a noble spirit who matches her in wits, bravery, and strength of character. But beneath the seemingly orderly surface in Archeld lurk greed, revenge, and mutinous plots. Fingers point at Landon, but Torina cannot believe he would harm her or her family. Can she use her newfound powers to save her beleaguered kingdom? Or must the seer take up the sword? Kirkus Reviews gives this work strong praise: "Hanley pulls off the cleverly constructed plot ... with cinematic panache, piling on hairsbreadth escapes, near misses, and nailbiting cliffhangers."
This guide for teens is written in an encouraging, sympathetic, inspirational tone. The book's b&w layout has been made visually appealing for teens with chapter-opening fantasy illustrations and quotations from famous authors and others, plus frequent headings, tip boxes, brief exercise suggestions, and many examples from the work of published YA writers. Coverage encompasses voice and style, creating characters, setting, dialogue, plot, point of view, and getting past writer's block. The book includes one-page interviews with 19 YA authors, plus a section in which this book's author answers questions about her writing process. Hanley has written YA novels. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
After learning that she is an extremely powerful fairy, fourteen-year-old Zaria Tourmaline uses her magic to try to learn about her parents' and brother's disappearance five years before, and to explore the human world-- activities which put her and all of Feyland at risk.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.