- Table View
- List View
When a dinner guest of Eugenia Potter is found poisoned, supposedly from Mrs. Potter's famous twenty-seven-ingredient chili, the flabbergasted hostess knows she must act quickly before someone else is murdered.From the Paperback edition.
Kernels of Truth....When Eugenia Potter stumbles upon some ancient pottery shards on her ranch, she feels a profound connection with the past. And a deep desire to learn more about the relics. Now, she's heeding the call of her soul--by visiting an archaeological camp amid the magnificent cliff dwellings of Colorado's Mesa Verde.But strange things are happening at Mesa Verde, from the director's increasing mental confusion to a visitor's grisly death. Even a Talking Circle--a traditional ritual facilitated by the passing around of an ear of blue corn--doesn't reveal the source of the trouble. And when a busload of teenagers on a hiking trip disappears without a trace, Mrs. Potter begins some digging... to unearth a cruel scheme, a long-buried secret, and the deadly fruits of a killer's dark hungers.From the Paperback edition.
The elite of Harrington, Iowa-- population 4,785--have gathered for an advanced cooking class. But when one of the students is found with her throat slashed, the other chefs--including our Mrs. Potter, home for her yearly visit--are the prime suspects. The weapon? The thin, sharp, six-inch French boning knife displayed in class that evening.... As Mrs. Potter muses: "Everything that happens in New York happens here. The only difference is that here you know the people." Dignified but down-to- earth, proper but never prissy, it is Mrs. Potter who discovers the surprising culprit.
Warm memories and good food greeted Mrs. Potter's retum to her beloved Nantucket, but so did a chilling surprise. Her old friends had a dangerous new look: dangerously thin and dressed to kill! Was something sinister going on? A handsome new diet doctor had won over the richest widows on the island with his weight-loss secrets -- and his very personal attention. But when sudden death was seved up along with delightful Down East dishes (try sinfully rich Scrimshaw Inn Rum Pie or tangy Nantucket Cranberry Cup Pudding!), the inimitable Mrs. Potter knew it was time to stir the pot and come up with a devilishly clever culinary killer.
A DINNER TO DIE FOR. Summoned from her Arizona ranch to take charge of her teenage great-nephew and his twin sister, Genia Potter takes a rental on the Rhode Island coast. Old acquaintance Stanley Parker is only too happy to welcome her. And soon Genia is busily preparing for the tasting party that she and Stanley are hosting that evening at her cottage. An avid cook and recipe collector, Stanley has already roped Genia into collaborating on The Secret Ingredient Cookbook, chock-full of Rhode Island culinary mysteries. Now is their chance to test some recipes and solicit others from each of the invited. Stanley has carefully selected six guests. And each has been asked to contribute a recipe with one secret ingredient. Genia asks no questions-until the lobster bisque is cold and all but one are present. Where is Stanley? Dead. And unlamented. Has one of the guests concocted a secret recipe for murder? Everyone has a motive. And everyone has a secret-including Genia's troubled great-nephew, the prime suspect.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.