- Table View
- List View
"It's not your life, it's not your wife, it's only a game." -- Lloyd Mangrum. "There is no type of miracle that can't happen at least once in golf." -- Grantland Rice. No one knows exactly when the first golf quotation was spoken; nonetheless, we can be very sure it was unprintable. The game is a source of endless study, endless fascination, and endless frustration -- which has led to an endless pursuit of wisdom about how to play it better. "It doesn't matter if you look like a beast before or after the hit, as long as you look like a beauty at the moment of impact." -- Seve Ballesteros. "Nobody ever swung a club too slowly." -- Bobby Jones. In the game's 500 years of history, it has drawn the attention of kings and commoners, pros and con men, stylists and butchers, bag-toters and sandbaggers. All have had something to say about the game, its implements, or the impossibility of ever plumbing its inner depths. "The trouble that most of us find with the modern matched sets of clubs is that they don't really seem to know any more about the game than the old ones did." -- Robert Browning. "If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game would be played far better than it is." -- Horace Hutchinson. Randy Voorhees has taken on the daunting task of choosing the best, most helpful, and most entertaining quotations about the game of golf. From Penick to Trevino, from Jones to Nicklaus, from Mackenzie and Wodehouse to Updike and McLean, all the greats of the game are here, with thoughts that will enlighten, entertain, and ensure lower scores. "When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls." -- Henry Beard "Hit the ball up to the hole...You meet a better class of person there." -- Ben Hogan. So read, skim, dip, and savor. Your next round of golf will be more enjoyable, and your nineteenth-hole banter will be vastly improved when you casually drop into the conversation, As Hogan Said... WHO SAID THE 389 BEST THINGS ABOUT HOW TO PLAY GOLF? Jonathan Abrahams * Michael Adams * Tommy Armour * Gloria Armstrong * Robert Baker * Lord Balfour * Seve Ballesteros * Jerry Barber * Henry Beard * Max Behr * Tommy Bolt * James Braid * Billy Ray Brown * Robert Browning * Bob Brue * Craig Bunker * Jackie Burke, Jr. * Tom Callahan * Billy Casper * Dr. Richard Coop * Henry Cotton * Ben Crenshaw * Bernard Darwin * Peter Dobereiner * Pete Dye * Shirley Englehorn * Bob Estes * Jim Flick * Raymond Floyd * Walter Hagen * Martin Hall * Hank Haney * Butch Harmon * Arnold Haultain * May Hezlet * Dave Hill * Harold H. Hilton * Ben Hogan * Chuck Hogan * Horace Hutchinson * Hale Irwin * John Jacobs * Dan Jenkins * Bobby Jones * Ernest Jones * Robert Trent Jones * Robert Trent Jones, Jr. * Tom Kite * Glenn Kummer * Neal Lancaster * Tony Lema * Lawson Little * Bobby Locke * Henry Longhurst * Francisco Lopez * Nancy Lopez * Davis Love, Jr. * George Low * Cliff McAdams * Gary McCord * Jim McLean * Dr. Alister Mackenzie * Stewart Maiden * Roger Maltbie * Lloyd Mangrum * Dr. Cary Middlecoff * Johnny Miller * Colin Montgomerie * Bill Moretti * Michael Murphy * Byron Nelson * Jack Nicklaus * Greg Norman * Ted Osborne * David Owen * Arnold Palmer * Willie Park, Jr. * Corey Pavin * Dave Pelz * Harvey Penick * George Peper * Gale Peterson * Gary Player * Chris Plumbridge * Jimmy Powell * Charles Price * H. H. Ramsay * Grantland Rice * Donald Ross * Dr. Bob Rotella * Lorne Rubenstein * Paul Runyan * Doug Sanders * Gene Sarazen * Tom Simpson * Sir Walter Simpson * Randy Smith * Wiffi Smith * Sam Snead * Curtis Strange * Louise Suggs * George Thomas * Annette Thompson * Peter Thomson * Dr. T. J. Tomasi * Jerome Travers * Claudia Trevino * Lee Trevino * John Updike * Harry Vardon * Glenna Collett Vare * Ken Venturi * Tom Watson * Brian Watts * H. N. Wethered * Joyce Wethered * H. J. Whigham * Dr. Gary Wiren * P. G. Wodehouse * Mickey Wright * Steve Wynn.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.