- Table View
- List View
Explorations in Earth Science contains a collection of 68 laboratory investigations that can be incorporated into an Earth science course that covers geology, weather, climate, astronomy, and environmental issues. The variety of the exercises contained in the manual provides instructors with the flexibility to use those that suit their individual preferences and which they view as essential for their students. Included is a Prologue that contains activities that address the skills and concepts that are integrated throughout an Earth science course. The investigations are aligned with the New York State Math, Science, and Technology Standards and the National Science Education Standards. Appendices in the manual correlate labs to the New York State Physical Setting/Earth Science Core Curriculum and several well-known textbooks. Also included are appendices containing the Earth Science Reference Tables required by the New York State Physical Setting Core Curriculum and supplementary charts teachers will find useful in delivering their courses. Incorporated into the Teacher's Edition is an appendix suggesting Internet sites appropriate for each chapter. Each laboratory investigation contains clearly stated instructions, report sheets, and questions that reflect both the procedural techniques and results students should obtain. Many labs can be adapted to an inquiry/problem-solving approach in which the written activity would often serve the teacher as a guide, but might not be used by students. The Teacher's Edition contains an array of suggested long-term investigations, an equipment and supplies list, and a comprehensive guide preceding each activity. This section is of great use to veteran teachers and is most valuable to teachers new to teaching Earth Science.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.