- Table View
- List View
`I think this is a wonderful book. The social psychological theories are exceptionally well presented for practical use. Anyone studying social psychology will find this book extremely relevant and accessible' - Gerjo Kok, Professor of Applied Psychology, Department of Work and Social Psychology, Maastricht University `This is a highly readable book dealing with an exciting topic, applied social psychology, which is at the heart of many urgent problems of the new millennium. It is well suited for curing the disease of those who still believe there is an opposition between fundamental and applied research, between theories and practice. The major asset of this volume lies in the originality and strength of the PATH concept -- from problem definition, over analysis, and test, to helping. I like the idea to implement and institutionalize this framework in teaching and in education' - Klaus Fiedler, University of Heidelberg Introducing a new methodological approach for doing applied psychology, the PATH model, this book offers a simple, systematic, step-by-step, easy-to-use methodology for applying primarily social psychological theory to a wide range of social problems, from tackling crime and prejudice to fostering environmental conservation and team performance. It helps and guides students to define a problem, conduct a theory-based analysis, develop an explanatory model, set up and execute a research project to test the model, and develop an intervention. Applying Social Psychology is a highly practical text, which can be used by introductory and advanced level students who want to learn how to analyze practical problems and develop solutions for these problems based upon social psychological theory and research. Written in an engaging and accessible way, this book offers: 1. A new methodological model put forward by the authors (PATH model); 2. Real world case studies; 3. End of chapter exercises; 4. Interviews with leading social psychologists; 5. Glossary of key theories and concepts in social psychology; 6. Recommended further reading.
A groundbreaking and definitive work of evolutionary psychology that upends everything we thought we knew about leadership. We are all leaders or followers--or both--and we can recognize leadership in almost every area of life. But what makes a good, bad, or even outstanding leader? Fusing psychology, business, evolutionary biology, and current affairs, Naturally Selected examines the evolution of leadership over several million years, from birds and bees to apes and humans, and presents a compelling new hypothesis: the slow pace of evolution has resulted in a mismatch between modern leadership and the kind of leadership for which our Stone Age brains are wired. Grounded in rigorous academic scholarship, written with journalistic flair, and full of fascinating examples drawn from politics, commerce, sports, and culture, this extraordinary, eye-opening book explains: why tall presidential candidates usually beat short ones; why great athletes often make lousy managers; why we don't like working for huge companies; why women chief executives attract hostility; why middle managers are universally reviled. In doing so, Naturally Selected reveals how the psychology of leadership affects us all--and how we can change our lives by improving the ways we lead and follow.
A groundbreaking, evolutionary science-based exploration of the history of leadership that explains how and why some men and women evolve into good or great leaders, and some do not.We are all leaders or followers -- or both. We can recognise leadership in almost every area of life: in the workplace, among friends, within families, in politics and religion. But what makes a good or bad leader, and what makes an outstanding one? Selected examines how and why leadership has evolved over tens of thousands of years, and presents a bold and compelling new "mismatch hypothesis": the slowness of evolution means that there is a mismatch between modern leadership and the kind of leadership that our Stone Age brains are still wired for. This makes for all sorts of tendencies, problems and solutions that no author has yet discussed but that affect all aspects of our lives.Full of fascinating examples drawn from a diverse range of spheres, from politics and commerce to sport and culture, Selected explains why taller political candidates usually win, why women chief executives attract such hostility, why we like it when the boss asks after our children and what prime ministers and presidents can do to improve their chances of electoral success.This is the first book of its kind -- reaching into business, psychology, politics and current affairs -- to explore how leadership affects us all. It also offers the first truly scientific theory of leadership: where previous books have provided anecdote, it details empirical evidence. Selected provides deep insight into our personal and professional lives at a time when the world urgently needs to acknowledge great leadership.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.