- Table View
- List View
Much of the writing in this textbook is summarizing. The sociological data in this textbook has been collected from many sources. Summarizing all the characteristics of a society or even a social institution involves studying a large body of demographic, cultural, economic, geological, and historical information. Finding the Main Idea is the ability to identify the main point in a set of information. This textbook is designed to help you focus on the main ideas in sociology. The Read to Discover questions in each chapter help you identify the main ideas in each section. Identifying points of view helps us examine why people see things as they do. It also reinforces the realization that people's views may change over time or with a change in circumstances. Analyzing Information is the process of breaking something down into parts and examining the relationships between those parts. Comparing and Contrasting involve examining events, points of view, situations, or styles to identify their similarities and differences. Comparing focuses on both the similarities and the differences. Contrasting focuses only on the differences. Studying similarities and differences between people and things can give you clues about social theories, human interaction, and societies.
The authors of Sociology focus on developments that occurred in the late 1970s and 1980s.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.