- Table View
- List View
Wallacer Stegner's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel is a story of discovery--personal, historical, and geographical. Confined to a wheelchair, retired historian Lyman Ward sets out to write his grandparents' remarkable story, chronicling their days spent carving civilization into the surface of America's western frontier. But his reserch reveals even more about his own life than he's willing to admit. What emerges is an enthralling portrait of four generations in the life of an American family.
A restless, violent adventurer lured by golden dreams, roaming the frontier from Nevada to Saskatchewan... crony of banker, broker, bootlegger, and pimp... man of towering rages and warmth, with visions of sudden wealth... above all a man, even in humiliation and defeat!
Tracing the interlocking lives, loves, and aspirations of four lifelong friends who move between Vermont and Wisconsin, Stegner's 1987 masterpiece is a work of quiet majesty, deep compassion, and powerful insight. Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.
Wallace Stegner retells the story of Joe Hill, the Wobbly bard who became the stuff of legend when, in 1915, he was executed for the alleged murder of a Salt Lake City businessman.
Set in 1885, The Ox-Bow Incident is a searing and realistic portrait of frontier life and mob violence in the American West. First published in 1940, it focuses on the lynching of three innocent men and the tragedy that ensues when law and order are abandoned. The result is an emotionally powerful, vivid, and unforgettable re-creation of the Western novel, which Clark transmuted into a universal story about good and evil, individual and community, justice and human nature. As Wallace Stegner writes, [Clark's] theme was civilization, and he recorded, indelibly, its first steps in a new country.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Sabrina Castro is a wealthy, attractive woman married to an older society physician who no loonger fulfills her dreams. An almost accidental misstep leads her down the slow descent of moral disintegration. How she comes to terms with her life is the theme of this absorbing personal drama by the National Book Award-winning author of The Spectator Bird.
Joe Allston is a retired literary agent. His parents and only son are dead. He passes through his life passively, feeling like a spectator. Upon reviewing old journals of a trip he took to his mother's birthplace, his outlook on life changes.
A History, a Story and a Memory of the Last Plains Frontier; based on Stegner's boyhood memories of the Canadian plains and on his historical research.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.