- Table View
- List View
Takes students as well as lovers of food preparation beyond the basics to more complex recipes, subtler preparation and plating techniques. It includes both color and black and white photographs to illustrate concepts. Following two introductory chapters which detail the development of modern cookery, modern cooking styles, mise en place, finishing, and presentation, it goes on to cover sauces; soups; first courses; fish and other seafood; poultry and feathered game; beef, lamb, pork and veal; variety meats, sausages and game; vegetables; and cold foods. Recipes are given in two quantities--4 and 16 portions.
Gisslen's 6th edition of Professional Baking continues to educate hundreds of thousands of readers with clear, detailed instructions in the theory and techniques necessary to meet the demands of the professional kitchen.
In collaboration with Le Cordon Bleu, Gisslen provides a comprehensive guide to professional cooking theory and techniques for culinary students. This heavy tome contains about 1,200 recipes--100 of them new to this edition. The extensive scope of the book encompasses the food service industry, sanitation and safety, tools and equipment, the basics, menus and cost management, and nutrition. Then, the author provides detailed instructions, with color photos by J. Gerard Smith, for cooking stocks and sauces; soups; meats, game, and poultry; fish and shellfish; vegetables; legumes, grains, and pasta; salads; sandwiches; appetizers; breakfast foods; beverages; cured foods; cold foods; yeast products and breads; and desserts. This edition has been updated, is in full-color, contains vegetarian recipes and diets, uses the new food pyramid, and has chapters on presenting and garnishing food and modern food service. Gisslen is the author of many other culinary books, including The Essentials of Professional Cooking and Professional Baking, and is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
This is the best-selling undergraduate food preparation textbook in the marketplace. It has a long standing reputation for being comprehensive, yet easy for students to understand and follow. Wayne Gisslen's reputation for being able to simply, yet comprehensively, communicate information to beginning chefs is unsurpassed. Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition includes videos that will help further illustrate the correct techniques in the kitchen. On top of that there are over 100 new recipes, some with particular emphasis on international cooking. Enhanced visual program includes over 220 new color photos, including plated dishes, procedures, and products. Approximately 100 new recipes have been added, for a total of 650 recipes plus another 600 variations. More focus on international recipes and variations. Enhanced topical coverage on such things as: food science, molecular gastronomy, international recipes, and culinary maths. Chapter 10, Understanding Meats, now includes all information on meat fabrication in one convenient place. Up-to-date nutrition guidelines. Thoroughly revised and enhanced CulinarE-Companion Recipe Management software contains all recipes from the book - and 90 bonus recipes. The software is available through download with the registration code in the back of the book.
The "Study Guide to Accompany Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition" is a useful tool to help students study and review the material in the textbook "Professional Cooking. " It contains 35 chapters of key exercises related to key terms; true/false questions; completion, short-answer, and other written exercises; and math exercises. The purpose is to reinforce learning, support your study efforts, and assist you in mastering the material.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.