- Table View
- List View
One tragic traffic accident. Five university students killed. One survivor. A shocking case of mistaken identity that thrust two families into a bond of grief and joy beyond imagining. This is the story of two students from Indiana's Taylor University, Lauren Vand Ryn and Whitney Cerak: one buried under the wrong name, one critically injured and in a coma being cared for by the wrong family, and the heart-wrenching discovery five weeks later that they had been mistaken for one another. The Van Ryns and Ceraks now come together, two years later, to recount the amazing drama as it unfolded. Not only do they reveal the inspiring healing journey of survivor Whitney Cerak as she comes to terms with her own identity -- now altered by the injuries she suffered -- but also the recovery of two traumatized families as they describe the bond of faith that sustains and unites them, as they each came to terms with their bizarre reversal of life lost and life found.
This true story is a shocking case of mistaken identity that stunned the country and made national news. Would it destroy a family? Shatter their faith? Push two families into bitterness, resentment, and guilt? This is an unprecedented account of two traumatized families who describe their ordeal and explore the bond sustaining and uniting them as they deal with their bizarre reversal of life lost and life found. And join Whitney Cerak, the sole surviving student, as she comes to terms with her new identity, forever altered, yet on the brink of new beginnings.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.