- Table View
- List View
The greatest undersea adventure of the 20th century.The Ice Diaries tells the incredible true story of Captain William R. Anderson and his crew's harrowing top-secret mission aboard the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear-powered submarine. Bristling with newly classified, never-before-published information and photos from the captain's personal collection, The Ice Diaries takes readers on a dangerous journey beneath the vast, unexplored Arctic ice cap during the height of the Cold War."Captain Anderson and the crew of the USS Nautilus exemplified daring and boldness in taking their boat beneath the Arctic ice to the North Pole. This expertly told story captures the drama, danger, and importance of that monumental achievement." ?Capt. Stanley D. M. Carpenter, Professor of Strategy and Policy, United States Naval War College"Few maritime exploits in history have so startled the world as the silent, secret transpolar voyage of the U.S. Navy's nuclear submarine Nautilus, and none since the age of Columbus and Vasco da Gama has opened, in one bold stroke, so vast and forbidding an area of the seas." ?Paul O'Neil, Life magazine
(back of book) The Little House series introduced millions of readers to the beloved world of Laura Ingalls Wilder. From her very young days on the prairie to her golden years with her husband, Almanzo, Laura has become a friend to all who read her classic books. Here, noted Wilder historian William Anderson takes a fresh look at Laura in the days of her youth, and gives a detailed account of the events her cherished books describe. In these pages we learn what historic events inspired Laura to write her stories and what happens to her after the last Little House book ends. This book is sure to satisfy the most curious fans who long to know even more about Laura's adventurous pioneer life!
Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the classic Little House books that have delighted millions of readers, was first encouraged to write about her early days on the frontier by her daughter, Rose. This collection is comprised of Laura's early autobiographical pieces along with stories and essays by Rose, an award-winning writer who herself wrote about growing up on the family farm. From log cabins and covered wagons to the hardworking farm life that Laura and Rose fondly recall, A Little House Sampler is a vivid and personal testament to nearly one hundred years of American life and history as seen by two remarkable women.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.