- Table View
- List View
In 1943, Argentina Marine pilotturned- agent Cletus Frade is setting up an OSS-operated airline. But before Frade can get airborne, two interwoven German operations must be grounded. And for Frade-whose father was killed by the Nazis-the mission is about to get personal. .
In 1943, Argentina is officially neutral, but crawling with every kind of spy, sympathizer, and military official imaginable. Cletus Frade is a spy for the OSS, with strong family ties to Argentina. Frade looks into two interwoven, highly secret German operations - one for German Jews to purchase the freedom of their relatives in concentration camps, and the other, Operation Phoenix, is where the dirty money is going, to establish safe houses for senior Nazi officials who fear they've lost the war.
Canidy, Fulmar and colleagues in the Office of Strategic Services face a task more daunting than ever before - to convince Hitler and the Axis powers that the invasion of the European continent will take place anywhere but on the beaches of Nazi-occupied France. 'Wild Bill' Donovan's men have several tactics in mind, but some of the people they must rely upon are not the most reliable - are, in fact, probably spying for both sides - so the deceptions require layer upon layer of intrigue. All it will take is one slip to send the whole thing tumbling down like a house of cards. Are the OSS agents up to it? They certainly think so. But then a body is found floating off the coast of Spain . . . Packed with military action, The Double Agents is irresistible storytelling from a master of the genre.
If coincidence had thrown these men together in any normal military organization, and if, improbably, they had become buddies there, any commanding officer with enough sense would have broken up the gang as threats to "good military order and discipline. " But they weren't in any normal military organization. They were in the Office of Strategic Services. The Battle of the Atlantic is at its peak. Packs of German U-boats are hunting and sinking U. S. supply ships. Ships are burning at their moorings in U. S. ports, and a series of explosions has afflicted trains and train stations around the country - is it all accidental or is it sabotage? Meanwhile, Allied forces are secretly preparing to invade first Sicily and then Italy, and there is a lot of work that needs to be done beforehand, some with the most unlikely of helping hands. As the war heats up, "Wild Bill" Donovan's agents - Dick Canidy, Eric Fulmar, Stan Fine, and the rest of the crew, answerable only to Donovan and the president - suddenly find themselves battling on two fronts at once . . . and fate is just about to deal them a few surprises.
May 1945: Just weeks after Hitler's suicide, Cletus Frade and his colleagues in the Office of Strategic Services are fighting several new and deadly battles. <P><P>The first is political--with every department from Treasury to War to the FBI grabbing for OSS covert agents and assets. The second is military--with the OSS having smuggled Germans into Argentina for years because of their knowledge of Soviet KGB agents in America's atomic bomb program. The third concerns what might be the next world war against Red Joe Stalin and his voracious ambitions. <P> To get an early advantage, Frade has been conducting a secret and daring operation against the Communists. But to do it undetected, he and his men must walk a perilously dark line. Because all it takes is one slip--and everyone becomes a casualty of war. .
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.