- Table View
- List View
Studies on Retinal and Choroidal Disorders examines the role that oxidative and nitrosative stress plays in the complex physiology and pathophysiology of the retina and choroid. Both the basic science researcher and the clinical practitioner can use this book as a guide to the current understanding of retinal and choroidal cellular mechanisms involved in aging and disease. Beginning with a review of oxidative stress and inflammation in the pathoetiology of AMD and a review of the complement system in the retina, the book then takes a detailed look at oxidative stress in lipid metabolism and oxidized lipoproteins in the retina. It examines the anti-apoptotic activity of α-crystallins in the presence of glutathione, oxidative stress in the mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum, the role of iron in retinal disease, the mechanisms of pathological VEGF expression, NAPDH oxidase mechanisms, and Hepatocyte Growth Factor in oxidative stress in the retina. A detailed look at the Ccl2-/-/Cx3cr1-/- mouse model of AMD follows. Then a detailed examination of the systemic changes in AMD is followed by a discussion of cerium oxide nanoparticle reduction of oxidative stress. Two chapters discuss progenitor cells in the cause and treatment of retinal diseases including AMD and diabetic retinopathy. Natural compounds in the prevention and treatment of retinal diseases are exhaustively presented, followed by a chapter on serotonin 5-HT1A receptor agonists in oxidative stress of the retina. The current anti-VEGF treatment strategies of neovascular AMD are then given. The volume continues with a detailed look at nitric oxide and inducible nitric oxide synthase in retinal vascular disease, an explanation of an in vivo technique of studying the effect of lipid hydroperoxides on circulating leucocytes in the retina, an excellent review of oxidative stress in retinopathy of prematurity, and a look at VEGF induced oxidative stress in the retinal ganglion cell. The book ends with a detail examination of the role of carotenoids in retinal health and disease. These 31 chapters summarize what is known about oxidative stress in retinal and choroidal disorders. All those involved with degenerative diseases of the eye will find Studies on Retinal and Choroidal Disorders to be illuminating and comprehensive.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.