- Table View
- List View
Probability, Markov Chains, Queues, and Simulation provides a modern and authoritative treatment of the mathematical processes that underlie performance modeling. The detailed explanations of mathematical derivations and numerous illustrative examples make this textbook readily accessible to graduate and advanced undergraduate students taking courses in which stochastic processes play a fundamental role. The textbook is relevant to a wide variety of fields, including computer science, engineering, operations research, statistics, and mathematics. The textbook looks at the fundamentals of probability theory, from the basic concepts of set-based probability, through probability distributions, to bounds, limit theorems, and the laws of large numbers. Discrete and continuous-time Markov chains are analyzed from a theoretical and computational point of view. Topics include the Chapman-Kolmogorov equations; irreducibility; the potential, fundamental, and reachability matrices; random walk problems; reversibility; renewal processes; and the numerical computation of stationary and transient distributions. The M/M/1 queue and its extensions to more general birth-death processes are analyzed in detail, as are queues with phase-type arrival and service processes. The M/G/1 and G/M/1 queues are solved using embedded Markov chains; the busy period, residual service time, and priority scheduling are treated. Open and closed queueing networks are analyzed. The final part of the book addresses the mathematical basis of simulation. Each chapter of the textbook concludes with an extensive set of exercises. An instructor's solution manual, in which all exercises are completely worked out, is also available (to professors only).Numerous examples illuminate the mathematical theories Carefully detailed explanations of mathematical derivations guarantee a valuable pedagogical approach Each chapter concludes with an extensive set of exercises Professors: A supplementary Solutions Manual is available for this book. It is restricted to teachers using the text in courses. For information on how to obtain a copy, refer to: http://press.princeton.edu/class_use/solutions.html
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.