Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
William P. Germano
All new Phd's hope that their dissertations can become books. But a dissertation is written for a committee and a book for the larger world. William Germano's From Dissertation to Book is the essential guide for academic writers who want to revise a doctoral thesis for publication. The author of Getting It Published, Germano draws upon his extensive experience in academic publishing to provide writers with a state-of-the-art view of how to turn a dissertation into a manuscript that publishers will notice. Acknowledging first that not all theses can become books, Germano shows how some dissertations might have a better life as one or more journal articles or as chapters in a newly conceived book. But even dissertations strong enough to be published as books first need to become book manuscripts, and at the heart of From Dissertation to Book is the idea that revising the dissertation is a fundamental process of adapting from one genre of writing to another. Germano offers clear guidance on how to do just this. Writers will find advice on such topics as rethinking the table of contents, taming runaway footnotes, shaping chapter length, and confronting the limitations of jargon, alongside helpful timetables for light or heavy revision. With crisp directives, engaging examples, and a sympathetic eye for the foibles of academic writing, From Dissertation to Book reveals to recent PhD's the process of careful and thoughtful revision- a truly invaluable skill as they grow into their new roles as professional writers.
Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading
tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.
See and hear words read aloud
Listen to books with audio only
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice
installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only
mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading
tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without
downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation
required). Other browsers can be used with limited features.
Read in Braille
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona
pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed.
Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using
the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter,
section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.