This is a leveled reader from the Lead 21 program for comprehensive K-5 core literacy. This is the History and Culture unit for 5th graders.
Contemporary'sFoundationsseries helps students improve their basic skills. Each book provides skill instruction, offers interesting passages to study, and furnishes opportunities for practice.Foundationsprovides meaningful contexts for learning, using language which is easy to understand. AboutFoundations: Social Studies, Revised Edition : In Foundations: Social Studies, students will learn about world history, U.S. history, civics and government, geography, and economics. They will summarize, make predictions, infer the main idea of cartoons, find information on maps, and read various kinds of graphs. Background Information,Language Tips, andWriting Workshops will let students use what they already know as they read and write about social studies topics. The revised edition includes a new World History chapter. About the Series: In Foundations: Reading, students will read practical information, nonfiction, poetry, and short stories. They will learn to find the main point and the details; identify fact, opinion, and bias; make inferences; read photographs and cartoons; and understand rhythm, rhyme, plot, and theme. Writing Workshops, Language Tips, and prereading questions are designed to improve reading, writing, and thinking skills. In Foundations: Writing, students will practice the four steps to writing an essay: prewriting, drafting, revising, and editing. They will read and write five kinds of essays: descriptive essays, personal narratives, how-to essays, essays of example, and comparison-and-contrast essays. A language-skills workbook provides grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure practice. In Your Journal, With a Partner, and Language Tipswill help students become better writers, and better readers and thinkers as well. In Foundations: Science, students will learn about the human body, plant biology, physics, chemistry, and Earth science. They will practice putting events in order; reading diagrams, charts, and graphs; using the scientific method; and making comparisons and contrasts. Try It yourself!activities will guide students through simple experiments so they will have a better understanding of what they have been reading about. Writing Workshops and Language Tips will help students use their reading and writing skills to think about science topics. In Foundations: Social Studies, students will learn about world history, U.S. history, civics and government, geography, and economics. They will summarize, make predictions, infer the main idea of cartoons, find information on maps, and read various kinds of graphs. Background Information, Language Tips, and Writing Workshops will let students use what they already know as they read and write about social studies topics. The revised edition includes a new World History chapter. In Foundations: Math, students will practice using whole numbers, money, decimals, fractions, ratios, and percents. Exercises will help students review the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts; round numbers; estimate answers; and solve word problems. Math Notes, On their Calculator, and Language Tips will help students improve math skills. The revised edition of Math is a major revision. The language has been updated to make the material even easier to follow than before. Foundations series at a glance
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.