- Table View
- List View
BADEN-POWELL: CHIEF SCOUT OF THE WORLD is the inspiring story of a man who loved life and the out-of-doors. A hero of the Boer War and one of Britain's best army officers, B-P had learned early the importance of physical fitness, self-reliance, and being alert. Realizing the importance of instilling these qualities in young people, B-P founded the Boy Scouts. He gave up a career in the army to devote his life to teaching Scouts. Today, brother Scouts around the world try to live up to the ideals of their founder and to their motto, "Be Prepared." Other books by this author are available in this library.!
If Bowleg Bill hadn't fallen asleep on the ship, we might never have known how this cowboy became a sailor. Other tall tales by Wyatt Blassingame are available in this library.
During the second World War, the army and Navy needed help to care for the many injured troops. So, they turned to nurses. And these are some of the nurses' stories.
Dan Beard was happiest when he was out-of-doors. As a boy, he spent much time hiking, fishing, and rafting. He became a map maker so that he could work outside. He started the Sons of Daniel Boone so that boys could learn to love nature. Then, his group merged with several other groups to become Boy Scouts of America.
This naturalist and artist learned much from the Indians, and he wanted to share his knowledge with boys, so that they would love and protect wildlife. Other books by this author are available in this library.
He always did his best. This is an inspiring biography of a man who worked hard, excelled at sports, and survived brain cancer.
Paul Bunyan was a mighty fine hitter, but no one would throw to him. John Henry was a fabulous pitcher, but no one would catch for him. So, what were the baseball managers to do? Let them play each other, of course! Who wins, you want to know? Ah, you must read the book! I can tell you this, though; I bet you've never, ever seen a game like this one! Other books by Wyatt Blassingame are available in this library.
They wore red crosses on their sleeves and helmets, they carried no weapons, they stayed right by the soldiers and treated their wounds as best they could.
In this tall tale, green beans grow in seconds, watermelons explode, Paul looses his ax, and Babe almost doesn't get the job done! If you enjoy this story, you might want to read other books by Wyatt Blassingame, and many are available in this library.
What Sue wants, she will get, but not without hilarious adventures along the way. Other books by Wyatt Blassingame are available in this library.
Pecos Bill and his pretty wife, Sue, live on a ranch with some most interesting animals. When the zoo manager asks for their help, they saddle their horses and go hunting. Maybe Hidebehinds shouldn't be kept in zoos. A delightful tall tale written for beginning readers. Other books about Pecos Bill are available in this library.
From the back cover: He jumped so high that Bill's hat was left hanging on the moon. He spun like a top, backflipped, and went sidewinding up hills and down valleys, but he couldn't throw Pecos Bill. Finally Widow-Maker stopped bucking. He became as peaceful as a lamb and as tame as a lapdog. He became Bill's favorite horse. After that everybody knew that Pecos Bill was the best cowboy in all the West. "Bill can ride anything with four hoofs and a hide," the other cowboys said, but nobody ever thought that Bill would have to ride a tornado.
Meet Thor Heyerdahl! As a young boy, he could not learn to swim. As a high school student, he opened a museum. As a man, he sailed Balsa wood and papyrus reed boats. He became a respected scientist, and a protector of oceans.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.