- Table View
- List View
He rose from hoodlum, thief, dope peddler, pimp to become the most dynamic leader of the Black Revolution. He said he would be murdered before this book appeared.
"Why should we do the dirtiest jobs for the lowest pay? I'm telling you we do it because we have a rotten system. It's a political and economic system of exploitation, of outright humiliation, degradation, discrimination." -- Malcolm X, June 1964. From one of eleven speeches and interviews tracing the evolution of his views on political alliances, women's rights, intermarriage, capitalism and socialism, and more.
Malcolm X gave black Americans not only their consciousness, but their history, their dignity, and a new pride. No single individual can claim a more important responsibility for a sociological and historical leap forward such as the one sparked in America in the 1960s. In 1965, when Malcolm X was gunned down on the stage of a Harlem theater, America lost one of its eminent political thinkers. Here in his own words are the revolutionary ideas that made Malcolm X one of the most charismatic and influential African-American leaders in American history. They are the thoughts of a determined leader during a turbulent, sometimes impossible time, and are invaluable in understanding not only the historical context of the Civil Rights movement but also contemporary identity and culture in the United States. These speeches document Malcolm's progression from Black nationalism to internationalism, and are key to both understanding his extraordinary life and illuminating his angry yet uplifting cause.
During the three weeks prior to his assassination on February 21, 1965, Malcolm X spoke to audiences in Britain and France and across the U.S. This is the first in a series of books that will collect--in chronological order--the major speeches and writings of this great revolutionary thinker and leader of the 20th century.
Speeches and interviews from the last two years of Malcolm X's life. Six transcripts of hitherto unavailable speeches and interviews revealing the matured thought of Malcolm X during his final years. The interviews and final speeches are artifacts of unusual scholarly significance vital to a true understanding of the mature mind of this remarkable voice of American black protest.
Through this book, Malcolm X explains clearly how knowing the truth about your history is necessary for building a movement to tear down racism and build a better society. The point is that Black people have to become aware of their true accomplishments in the past in order to change the world in the present and future.
Recounts the hidden history of the labor of people of African origin and their achievements.
Contains speeches by Malcolm X during his 1964-65 tour of Africa & Britain. They reflect how his political views were evolving following his break with the Nation of Islam. Most have never before appeared in print.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.