- Table View
- List View
Three children in Hawaii try to hold their family together after the death of their mother.
Lois-Ann Yamanaka's new novel tells the story of the Yagyuu family, who live in Hilo above Heads by Harry, the family's taxidermy shop. Every day a group of opinionated old futs from the neighborhood gathers outside Harry O.'s shop, where they discuss everyone in town (loudly) and drink beer and eat smoked meat into the pau hana hours. Back at home, things aren't quite as simple. Toni Yagyuu, the middle child, wanders through life in the shadow of her flamboyant big brother, Sheldon, who prefers the name Shelly and whose penchant for cosmetology causes Harry O. much consternation. Their younger sister, Bunny, is a provocative beauty and budding diva. At the heart of their rivalry is a small-town catch extraordinaire, Maverick Santos, football star and pig hunter for the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. Maverick's older brother, Wyatt, is a swaggering, macho thug who may be far more tender than he appears. Caught in the center of every conflict, Toni must choose between college life, the strange beauty of taxidermy, and the gore of the hunt. Graphic, compassionate, and brutally funny; Heads by Harry completes Yamanaka's haunting and memorable trilogy on growing up in Hawai'i.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.