- Table View
- List View
Live Life Loud! You passed that same ol' bum on the street this morning. You sat next to some smelly girl on the subway last night. You ordered a burger from a worn-out cashier over your lunch hour. What do you think about these people? What does God think about them?My 30 Days Under the Overpassis not a devotional you will read in your quiet time, then carry on with your day. It's something you'll actually do-all day, every day-because these thirty days will rock you. Intense reflection on God's thoughts and feelings toward the poor, broken, and downtrodden will change youhellip;andyou willbegin to change the world. Not on your next mission trip. Not at church next Sunday. But right here, right now. Ask It. How do you treat others-those you like, know, don't know, don't like? Those who fall into your comfort zone, and those who shove you outside of it? Read It. Mike Yankoski and his buddy, Sam, chose to become homeless to discover their answer. Think It. Would you go sleep under a bridge in the rain? Would you panhandle for your next meal? Would you help those who do? Believe It. "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me," said Jesus (Matthew 25:45). Live It. This is not your average devotional. You'll read it, but you'll alsodoit. Get ready for a life change that will change lives. "Mike takes Christ at His word, and challenges you to summon the courage to live the real Christian faith. " Dean R. Hirsch, President, World Vision International Story Behind the Book "Is God enough to sustain me? Is He trustworthy? Is He worth staking my life on? What happens if I die? Will I even survive? Such questions rang loudly in my mind as Sam and I decided to lay down everything in a full embrace of the homeless life. Some experiences were uncomfortable, some shocking, some disturbing, some hilarious, and still others frustrating. But five months of life on the streets has left us, our faith, and our lives forever changed. We've been back from the streets for two years, and now this devotional makes it possible for people to make real-life changes. It contains stories and reflections not included inUnder the Overpass. " -Mike Yankoski From the Trade Paperback edition.
5th Anniversary - Updated & Expanded EditionWith Foreword by FRANCIS CHANEver Wonder What it Would Be Like to Live Homeless?Mike Yankoski did more than just wonder. By his own choice, Mike's life went from upper-middle class plush to scum-of-the-earth repulsive overnight. With only a backpack, a sleeping bag and a guitar, Mike and his traveling companion, Sam, set out to experience life on the streets in six different cities--from Washington D.C. to San Diego-- and they put themselves to the test. For more than five months the pair experienced firsthand the extreme pains of hunger, the constant uncertainty and danger of living on the streets, exhaustion, depression, and social rejection--and all of this by their own choice. They wanted to find out if their faith was real, if they could actually be the Christians they said they were apart from the comforts they'd always known...to discover first hand what it means to be homeless in America. Mike and Sam's story is gritty, challenging, and utterly captivating. What you encounter in these pages will radically alter how you see your world--and may even change your life. This updated and expanded edition contains added stories, an interview with the author, a "five years after" bonus chapter, and a new foreword from Francis ChanFrom the Trade Paperback edition.n everything in a full embrace of the homeless life. Some experiences were uncomfortable, some shocking, some disturbing, some hilarious, and still others frustrating, but five months of life on the streets has left us, our faith, and our lives forever changed."From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.