- Table View
- List View
An accessible introduction to advanced quantum theory, this graduate-level textbook focuses on its practical applications rather than mathematical technicalities. It treats real-life examples, from topics ranging from quantum transport to nanotechnology, to equip students with a toolbox of theoretical techniques. Beginning with second quantization, the authors illustrate its use with different condensed matter physics examples. They then explain how to quantize classical fields, with a focus on the electromagnetic field, taking students from Maxwell's equations to photons, coherent states and absorption and emission of photons. Following this is a unique master-level presentation on dissipative quantum mechanics, before the textbook concludes with a short introduction to relativistic quantum mechanics, covering the Dirac equation and a relativistic second quantization formalism. The textbook includes 70 end-of-chapter problems. Solutions to some problems are given at the end of the chapter and full solutions to all problems are available for instructors at www. cambridge. org/9780521761505.
Quantum transport is a diverse field, sometimes combining seemingly contradicting concepts - quantum and classical, conduction and insulating - within a single nanodevice. Quantum transport is an essential and challenging part of nanoscience, and understanding its concepts and methods is vital to the successful fabrication of devices at the nanoscale. This textbook, first published in 2009, is a comprehensive introduction to the rapidly developing field of quantum transport. The authors present the comprehensive theoretical background, and explore the groundbreaking experiments that laid the foundations of the field. Ideal for graduate students, each section contains control questions and exercises to check readers' understanding of the topics covered. Its broad scope and in-depth analysis of selected topics will appeal to researchers and professionals working in nanoscience.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.