- Table View
- List View
Osprey's examination of the Scottish Jacobite army during the Jacobite Rising of 1745. The heart of this book is the story of Bonnie Prince Charlie's army at Culloden. It strips away the myth and exposes the realities of life in the Jacobite rebel army. It begins with the raising of the army which included volunteers, 'pressed men' and mercenaries, as well as French forces that were sent over to assist as part of the 'Auld Alliance'. Unit organization, weapons, and tactics are discussed and the book also details the vicious battles that were fought in this doomed attempt to secure the British crown. After the Jacobite rebellion was finally crushed at Culloden, many of the survivors were surprisingly drafted into the British Army alongside their former enemies and saw service in North America during the French-Indian War (1754-1763). The wonderful color plates and rare images illustrate the variety of uniforms that were worn ranging from tartan to regular army dress. This is an essential introductory guide to the Jacobite armies as well as a definitive reference to the uniforms and weaponry of the period.
"Look inside this world and find wonder." -KATE BERNHEIMER, editor of My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me and author of The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her HairA book arrives by Owl, left under an old fir tree in the snow. With it, a mysterious message: another world's scientists have discovered the laws of the universe are found in-fairy tales. Is it true?Snotty-the unlikely hero of this tale-is a streetwise adolescent mastermind transported to a mystical realm where the fate of the world rests on discovering who he really is. As Snotty's perceptions of might and right are upended, the scholarly footnotes point toward a deeper truth-that in the endless fight against evil, the toughest warriors come from the most despised group of all: the smallest, the poorest, the funniest, the snottiest.A fantastic adventure story, smart political allegory, and philosophical treatise, this is a book to be savored by adults of all ages.The History of Arcadia series tells the story of a world that was literally formed by a story, by one person discovering and claiming who she really is . . . and of the subsequent events that led first to a deceptively happy world, then to an inevitably tragic outcome, and finally to a slow rebuilding of the world on foundations more deeply and thoughtfully laid. Each book includes bonus Arcadian legends and fairy tales, and relates how the manuscript crossed the barriers between Arcadia and our own world to arrive at Exterminating Angel Press. The first two novels in the series are Snotty Saves the Day and Lily the Silent.Tod Davies lives with her husband and her two dogs at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, in Boulder, Colorado and in the alpine valley of Colestin, Oregon, where she discovered Snotty Saves the Day, the first Arcadian manuscript.Illustrator Gary Zaboly is the author and illustrator of The Barack Obama Coloring Book (Dover Publications) and many books on American military and frontier history. He lives with his wife Cora in Riverdale, New York, overlooking the Hudson River.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.